Help with ribbing/cables

Hello, everyone. I’m very new to knitting and I’m loving every minute of it. I pretty much taught myself to knit using books and the internet. I’ve completed two scarves (and have several requests for more). I decided that I wanted to try cables and tried a small sample first. I’m so frustrated right now it’s not funny. For some reason, there is a huge space between the stiches ONLY on the left side of the cable (knit stiches). The first scarf that I knitted was 2x2 ribbing and I didn’t have this problem so I figured I’d go back and try that again and I’m having the same problem again. I’m obviously doing something different than I did the first time but, for the life of me, I can’t figure out what it could be. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

is there any way you can take a picture? I’m a visual person :slight_smile:

Yet another reason why I desperatly need a digital camera! Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability to post a picture of it. The best way I can describe it is that if you’re looking at the right side of the piece, it appears as though there is a run on the left side of each knit column. It’s not a run though, it’s just a big huge gap. Ugh! I’m not making any sense am I? :wall:

Perfect sense. It’s a common thing with cables when you first start doing them.

The only suggestion I can give you is to make sure that you keep your needles close together, and also make sure you make sure the yarn gets pulled tight as you wrap the stitches of the cables. The natural inclination of the yarn is to stretch where you pull the cable over, so you have to compensate. When I say to pull the yarn, as you wrap the stitch, make sure the needles come as close to each other as possible, and hold them that way for the next stitch as much as you can, too.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much I feel better knowing that I haven’t just gone dumb.

I am having this same issue too. I threw away my cable swatches in utter disgust. I’ll knit a swatch with my gaping-cable hole to post a pic to see if you and I are having the same issue.

Then I will try the tip of making sure to pull the yarn a bit tighter. Cables add so much to the work and I would love to give someone a hat or scarf that isn’t just simple ribbing or garter stitch!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Another suggestion I got was to “re-teach” myself how to knit. I’ve been using the English method since my right hand is overly-dominant (I can’t do anything with my left hand). My aunt, after watching me knit this morning, noticed that my knit stitches are a great deal tighter than my purl stitches because I “hold the working yarn all wrong”. She suggested that I start from the beginning and teach myself to knit using the Continental method which would “force” me to knit properly. I have to say, she’s absolutely right. Since I really had to slow down, I was able to keep my tension even which has made a HUGE difference. I’m still not great at Continental and it’s by no means easy or quick for me at the moment but it really seems to be helping so I’m going to stick with it.