Help with Resuming a Pattern

[COLOR=“DarkRed”][B]Hi, I just joined this forum today from a link at another forum at Cafemom. I want to thank you Amy for a fantastic site…

I’m not new to knitting, but have found a few helpful hints here and just love the way you have setup your site to help others…I love the videos…like I never knew there was two way of knitting like the Continental knit and English knit which is what I do. I would like to try the Continental, it should be easy for me as I crochet as well. I did learn the proper way of putting work back on needles as I have had that happen to me before. Thanks for that video…

But my problem is when I have started a project and it’s been some time, and I mean sometime since I worked on it and then want to finish it, I don’t know how to figure out on a pattern row where I left off, so I can finish it…like a sweather I am almos finished with, my daughter when she was really little cut off the last line or two of the pattern, it was a leaflet and I was able to go online after years of that project just sitting, and emailed them and they sent me a copy of it…It’s a lacey pattern and I’m not sure how to pick up where I left off…maybe you have some ideas…I can take a pic and post it, if you think that would help…Just let me know…Thanks in advance…

I have learned since then to have a pad handy and would write down the rows, and then mark them off as I finish that row…I would keep that paper with my project…I have counters, but sometimes my grandbabies would mess with them so then I don’t know where I was…[/B][/COLOR]

What I have done in that circumstance is look at the last patterned row I knit–and then write down the stitches I see–k,k,k,yo, k2tog, yo, k, k, k, for example and see which line in the pattern (or chart) matches that one.

Sometimes I get it on the first try, but after knitting the row I think I’m supposed to be on and things didn’t line up, I went back and tried, tried again.

Thanks…I will try that, but it will not be easy as it looks like x’s very lacy…

If unsuccessful with that, Try undoing that last row, one stitch at time, writing down stitches as you go. It may be easier to see what each step was that way?