Help with reading pattern

I am knitting a baby blanket and am having trouble understanding one row in particular. The row is as follows: Cast on 137 sts. Row 5 (right side): K5, increase. (K2. increase) across to last 5 sts. K5: 180 sts. I have tried this row several times in different ways and always end up with the wrong number of sts. What am I doing wrong?

What increase are you using? It should be a m1, not kfb. K5, m1, k2, m1, etc. The new sts go between existing ones and don’t use a stitch the way kfb does.

Hi langlom1. The pattern works just fine for me. If you start with 137 stitches on your needle and knit the first five stiches, then increase using the sixth stitch (with either increase method) you will have seven stiches on your needle. The knit the next two stiches and increase with the third stitch you will have eleven stitches on your needle. (After each increase you will be adding four stitches to the right needle.) At the end of the row you will have a total of 180 stitches. How many were you ending up with?
Hope this helps.