Help with reading pattern

Hi All,

I’m relatively new to knitting (a few months) but I decided I was up for a challenge for my next project and saw a lovely free scarf pattern on LoveKnitting. https://www.loveknitting.com/frilled-city-scarf-knitting-pattern-by-kyoko-nakayoshi

Having finished the frill edge I wanted to move onto the pattern part b and c section.

For the life of me I can’t figure this out - I have 31 stitches on my needle at this point - like I’m supposed to. The first line in the pattern involves ssk and k2tog and the yarn overs only increase behind the work (left needle.) I get to the final c4b and c4f but only have five stitches left? Am I missing something obvious?:frowning: imageimage

Welcome!

Are you using a stitch to work the yarn over? For a yarn over, bring the yarn to the front between the needles and then over the right needle to the back. That’s it.

Here’s a video to help with yarn overs before or after purl sts which seem to occur in the chart.

Hi salmonmac,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe it’s because i was doing all my yarn overs in a knit knit pattern instead of in knit/purl purl/knit.
I’ll give it a go with the video this afternoon. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

The video may help. Ultimately you want to end up with an extra loop over the right needle (a new stitch).

Hi salmonmac,

I gave it another go with the correct YOs but still had the same problem, so I think I’m reading the pattern chart incorrectly :frowning:

I’ve had a good read up on knitting patterns also. Does having the bold ‘box’ on the chart mean I should purl once and then repeat c4b, c4f for the first row followed by five rows of purl once, knit for the rest of the row? Should I only start going through panel c after the 6th row?

The first row looks like this:

P1, C4B, C4F, p1, yo, k1, yo, p1, k2tog, k3, ssk, p1, yo, k1, yo, p1, C4B, C4F, p1.
That uses 31sts and leaves you with 33 (there are 2 more yarn overs than decreases across the row). That’s ok. The pattern increases for a couple of rows and later decreases.

See if that works with your 31sts. I’m not sure what the black box on the right of the chart is for. You need panel C to account for all the sts.

Hi salmonmac,

I’ve figured out where I was going wrong, it was my yarn overs! I was reading the pattern as yo,knit, knit (or purl, purl), as in the following stitch was both incorporated in the yo as well as repeated as it’s own stitch.

I feel a little silly now.

Thank you so much for helping me figure all this out.