Help with "pearl" stitch (similar to a bobble)

I’m working on a sweater called Pearl by Helga Isager, and I’m confused by how to make the raised bobble type stitch she (confusingly) calls a “pearl stitch” (not a “purl”)-- here are the instructions:

Knit into front and back of stitch 3 times so there are 6 sts in one st. Then pull 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th sts over the 1st st. A pearl has now been made.

This is a photo of the finished pearls.

I know how to knit into the front and back of the stitch. My questions are:

1. After knitting into the front and back 3 times, I assume I move the worked stitch off of my left needle.

2. Which stitch is the 1st? On my right needle, the one closest to my needle tip? or the 1st one I made? I’m struggling with which stitches to pull over which. Do I move the 6 new stitches to the my left needle and pull the stitches over each other from there? (I feel like this is correct, but the instructions don’t mention moving the stitches back to the left needle to pull them over each other.)

Thank you!

Nice pattern.

Leave the stitches on the right needle. Count from the needle tip to the right. The first stitch is the closest to the tip. Move the next stitch over the first, then the next, until you’ve moved 5 sts over the first. You should see a gap before the next stitch so if you lose count you’ll know when to stop. HTH

Thank you, @GrumpyGramma ! I’d tried it that way but my pearls seemed very minimal on the RS and more visible on the WS so I thought I was doing it wrong. I’ll just keep going. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve sometimes gently pushed the bobble to the RS and pinched it to give it shape. It’s a little weird to go around pinching your knitting but it works.

Good to know! Yeah I keep trying to push it through to the RS too, haha. Maybe once I complete more rows it’ll hang a little better. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

After knitting into the front and back 3 times, you now have 6 stitches on your right needle. Going from left to right move each of the next 5 stitches over the stitch closest to the needle point. Needle point 1,2,3,4,5,6