Help with pattern

I have recently got back into knitting. And I’m stuck already. This is the part of the pattern Im having trouble with. I got to the part where i have to decrease for the raglan sleeves. At first after the initial "cast off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows. I then went on to decrease 2 stitches at the end of each alt row. But then I started thinking that i should only decrease 1 stitch at the end of each alt row.So i undid a heap and began the decrease again. now I’m thinking i may have been right all along? please someone help clarify for me!!:knitting:

Welcome to KnittingHelp and welcome back to knitting!
It’s not very clear in the pattern but the usual decrease is one stitch at the beginning and one at the end of the row. If the pattern has a schematic you can check the measurement of the raglan sleeve, convert it to rows and see if that makes sense with your stitch numbers.
Can you give us a pattern name or a link?

the pattern a mock cable sweater with v neck in Patons book 5000… " A complete wardrobe of Hand Knits for baby this pic is where i am at now.

the length of the garment is approx 22 cm now is this to the ribbing around the v neck? if the sleeves start at 10cm then the bulk of the back is on the decrease? Just seems weird to me

Maybe this one:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mock-cable-sweater-with-vee-neck

The length of the garment is probably to the shoulder or up to the ribbing at the center back.

It’s not unusual for a child’s raglan shaping to start early depending on the size you’re making. The body is relatively short and the raglan decreases start comparatively early in the pattern.
How long is the sleeve from the first decrease for the armholes on the schematic and how long is your knitted sleeve so far? The final decreases will come more rapidly because they are every row.

i haven’t started the sleeves yet. But the length is meant to be 22cm and mine is now 24cm and thats not including the ribbing? I guess if i knit one sleeve and see if the length fits i should be good? Just very frustrating.

Yes, but you’re idea of doing one sleeve is good. It’s most likely a one stitch decrease at each end of the sleeve. If you click on the photos, you can see the shaping on this project (3rd photo).
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mock-cable-sweater-with-vee-neck/people

I can only see one photo of a child on a slide with the jumper on? I have started the sleeve and have just finished the ribbing. AM i right in that the sleeve is increased in stitches and then decreased? And that the final length ( sleeve seem) should match exactly the light on the back sleeve seem? Sorry for my confusion but its been a while. I also am doing a side zero and quite surprised how big it seems! I appreciate your time very much

It’s the 3rd photo down if you open the projects:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/craftyveg/mock-cable-sweater-with-vee-neck

Yes, the sleeve increases and then there is a bind off on each side for the underarm. After that, the raglan shaping decreases the sleeve. That raglan decrease should match the raglan decrease on the back. The line of raglan decreases on the sleeve will match up with the back (and the front too) and be seamed along that line.