Help with pattern

I have just started a new pattern called “Swing Coat” (it’s really a sweater) by Cherry Tree Hill. It says it is an advanced beginner pattern but I’m not so sure about that … :slight_smile: I am already stuck and I would like some help, please.

It is knit in one piece from the neck down.

I co 98 stitches and worked in garter stitch for 1 inch. Then I did this:

Next row (rs) set up for raglan shaping: change to larger needles, k24, yo, k1, yo, k8, yo, k1, yo, k30, yo, k1, yo, k8, yo, k1, yo, k24
Next row (ws): K24, p38, k24
Next row (rs): k25, yo, k1, yo, k10, yo, k1, yo, k32, yo, k1, yo, k10, yo, k1, yo, k25
Next row (ws): K24, p66, k24
Next row (rs): k26, yo, k1, yo, k12, yo, k1, yo, k34, yo, k1, yo, k12, yo, k1, yo, k26
Next row (ws): k23, p76, k23

I did all of the above ok - HERE IS WHERE I DON’T GET IT:

Keep making 8 raglan inc’s every other row as set 22 more x-298 sts, at the same time 1 less st in garter band each side every 4 rows until 12 sts rem in garter st on each side, then keep working 12 sts on each side in garter st to bottom edge. End ws.

I don’t get that part above. I also don’t get what it means “to bottom edge” - is that the end of the length of the sweater? It doesn’t say how long it should be?

then it goes on to the left sleeve, right sleeve, etc. (I’ll probably need help when I get there too!)

I appreciate your help!
Elaine

It should tell you somewhere how long to make it. If it doesn’t I guess you just make it as long as you want.

Keep making 8 raglan inc’s every other row as set 22 more x-298 sts, at the same time 1 less st in garter band each side every 4 rows until 12 sts rem in garter st on each side, then keep working 12 sts on each side in garter st to bottom edge. End ws.

About that first part,

Keep making 8 raglan inc’s every other row as set 22 more x-298 sts
After you did the inch of garter stitch you began increasing by doing 8 yarn overs on each right side row. You are supposed to keep doing that: Increase by doing 8 yarn overs on each right side row until you have 298 stitches. That will be 22 more increase rows from where it says that.

And they have you doing a garter stitch edge on the sweater (knit every row). It is pretty wide to begin with as they have you knitting 24, 24, 25, 24, 26 and 23 at the beginning of each row. I haven’t thought about it enough to understand why the numbers change so much all the time, but what they are saying is starting where it says to begin doing it, to do one less stitch on that garter stitch edge every 4 rows, until you only have 12 in the garter stitch border on each side. You don’t decrease those stitches away or anything, you keep the stitches, but subtract one stitch from the garter border and turn it into part of the stockinette stitch you have going between the borders. After you have only 12 left on each side keep the 12 in garter until the sweater is as long as you want it.

“At the same time” means you are going to be doing both of these things from this starting point. You will be increasing with yarn overs 8 times every other row (22 more times until you have 298 stitches) [U]and[/U] every 4th row you will converting a border stitch into a “body” stitch until you have 12 border stitches left.

Thank you very much. Let me see if I understand. That would mean that the next few rows would be as follows:

Next row (rs): k27,yo,k1,yo,k14,yo,k1,yo,k36,yo,k1,yo,k14,yo,k1,yo,k27
Next row (ws): k23,p84,k23
Next row (rs):
k28,yo,k1,yo,k16,yo,k1,yo,k38,yo,k1,yo,k16,yo,k1,yo,k28
Next row (ws): k22,p94,k22 (this would be the 4th row where I decrease the size of the garter band by one on each side)

It took me a while to understand this but I think I get it - thanks to you! I’m attaching a photo of the coat.

Thanks again!
Elaine

Elaine,

I looked over your calculations and you are correct. I noticed that on the first post you gave that the second row has incorrect numbers in it. You started out with 98 and added 8 in row 1 so in row 2 the numbers need to add up to 106, but 24+38+24 is only 86. The 38 should have been a 58. I think this was just a typo since everything else figures out right.

You have the right idea. I hope you aren’t having to figure out each row ahead mathematically. If that is how you did the rows you gave, maybe you are good and math and will have no problem that way, but for me that route would he harder than just “reading” the knitting as I go. :slight_smile: The yarn overs are all coming in a regular pattern that you can probably see without even having to count after a few rows, just do them on the right side rows. You might want to keep track of the 4 rows for the places to convert one stitch to a body stitch from a border stitch each time. Your eyes can help you with keeping the garter border in line too without a lot of counting.

At first I didn’t get why the numbers for the knits at the beginning of rows were changing all the time, but on more thought I see that it is because of the stitch added by the yarn overs and then on the right side they are all knit to the first yarn over and on the wrong side only the border ones are knit and then the rest are purled. I’m slow. :lol:

If in your first post you number the rows 1-6 instead of just saying next row each time, in row 6 they are already converting one of the border stitches to a body stitch because it started out with you having 24 for the border and on this row they only have you do 23 in garter for the border. Thereafter they have you switch one from border to body every 4 rows.

You are doing real well. Thanks for the pictures. That little jacket has a nice simple cut. What kind of yarn are you using?