Help with pattern

I am trying something new. I have never read a chart or have changed colors like this. Can someone help with this? The patterns reads:

When working from chart, wind small
balls of the colors to be used, one for each
separate area of color on the chart. To change
colors, twist the 2 colors around each other,
where they meet, on WS to avoid a hole.

Also, on a chart when it is just black and white squares giving the color changes, do you knit on the knit side and purl on the purl side with the new color? I am confused!

Thanks,
Staci
Dallas, NC

You read the chart from the bottom starting in the lower right hand side. Follow the directions across row 1 from the right to the left. Row two, which should be the back side of your project is the second row up from the bottom and you read it from left to right.

Can you ‘see’ that?

I got that, but I need help on the changing colors, how do you do this like the pattern reads.

Staci

If a black square stands for red, it will be red whether you are knitting or purling.

Perhaps I’m not understanding your question…it is cold here today and the brain cells might be sluggish.

This is the part that I do not understand:

When working from chart, wind small
balls of the colors to be used, one for each
separate area of color on the chart. To change
colors, twist the 2 colors around each other,
where they meet, on WS to avoid a hole.

Thanks,
Staci

To twist the yarn without having a massive tangle of yarn, hold the color you’re stopping over to the left so that the strand lies on top of the one that you’re about to use. Hold it there as you work the next stitch, do it at every color change, and the yarns will twist automatically and you won’t have holes.

Each block of color will need it’s own strand of yarn. You won’t carry any colors across the back. So if you have 20 red, 20 white, 10 red, 10 white, you’d have a strand for each color change.

Thanks! I am going to give this a try!

Staci