Help with pattern

Hi there,
If my pattern says:
Dec on st at each end of next and foll alt rows until 8 sts remain, and I am knitting in stocking stitch, do I decrease on the knit and purl row or just the knit row?

Thanks

is your next row a knit row or a purl row? That will determine which one you are decreasing on.

[color=red]Dec on st at each end of next and foll alt rows until 8 sts remain,[/color]

ok, let read it again, in english (not in knitting instruction english, but real english!)

Decrease 1 stitch at each end of the next row, and on each following alternate rows, until there are only 8 stitches remaining.

And now, again, with important parts highlighted:

Decrease 1 stitch at each end of the next row, and on each following [color=red]alternate row[/color], until there are only 8 stitches remaining.

Real english is a lot easier to read, and make the directions clearer, doesn’t it? (it take years of practice to ‘read’ knitting abrieviations!)

and while the instructions don’t say so, you will find it easier to seam if you:
*K1, K2tog, (knit till 3 stitches remain) SSK, K1
(wrong side row)
This creates a smooths selvage edge (to seam).

of troy - I am still confused! Do I do the decreasing on my knit row and then purl the whole row without decreasing?

brendajos - the next row is a knit row

Thanks for your help!

Yes, and then every other (knit) row until you have 8 stitches left.

Yes, and then every other (knit) row until you have 8 stitches left.[/quote]

Just to be clear to Boogs… that’s every other row, which will be a knit row. Not every other knit row.

sue