Help with pattern

This is my first post, I apologize if this has been asked a million times.

Ok, so I’m being adventurous. I’ve only been knitting for a month or so, but I think I’ve made some great progress. I’ve made the typical easy one-color scarves, a kitty toy, and now it’s my frist project that I think is hard, everyone else says its sooo easy, but I can’t get it!

I’m trying to knit http://www.knitty.com/issuefall04/knittyF04surp.pdf the scarf at the bottom called “Heart”. I can do everything it asks too, I don’t have a problem with any of it, I guess. I cast on 17 stitches like it says, get through the first row and the second, then I come to the third row and I’m left with two or three extra stitches everytime! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Any advice?

Also when it asks to k4tog, does that really mean to knit 4 together? Because that’s hard!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :oops:

I’m not sure if you caught this part but it says after row 2 you will have 19 stitches and then after row 3 you will go back to 17 stitches…I’m not sure if you are off before or after you knit row 3.

Are you doing the psso part? That could account for extra stitches.

Yes, it is K4 tog - be sure to knit the row before it very loosley!!!

I hope this helps!

Yes, that would definitely mean k 4 sts together. It’s hard, but can be done. Watch that your stitches aren’t too tight.

As for ending up with more stitches by row 3, you did see the note…
“NOTE: On Row 1, the number of sts is increased to 19. On Row 3, it is reduced back to 17.” On row 3 you’ll have 19 to start with, but will be doing those k4togs so by the time you get to the end of it, you should have 17 again.

sue

Somehow when I do row two I’m ending up with 21 stiches. Jeez. I’ll figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Ok I’m so confused. The instructions are:

Row 1 [rs]: k3, yo, k2tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, sl1, k1, pssa, yo, k3

When I slip one, which way do i do it? I’m getting big hoops and gaps everywhere and I don’t know why.

When I do the sl1 K1 psso I always slip knit wise.

You should be getting gaps and holes. The YOs will leave holes - that is how the heart pattern is outlined.

Once you get a few more rows in you’ll see the heart starting to make an apperance!

Ok good, that’s what I’ve been doing. Thank you. I’m sure you experienced knitters giggle at little things like this.

I’ll get the hang of it, thank you very much.

Nope, no giggiling! I wouldn’t still be knitting if it weren’t for the videos on this site and for all the helpful fourm members.

On my first major project it took me 3 hours to learn how to do a YO, and I’m not kidding.

Stick with it, Jessica! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the help. It’s coming along great!