Help with pattern please

:shrug:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/katelyn/katelyn_basic.html

This pattern has me confused. Specifically this part:

FRONT
Shape Neck: Next Row (RS): K18(20-22-24-26-28), join another ball of yarn and bind off center 16 sts, k to end. Working both sides at once, bind off 3 sts at each neck edge once, then dec 1 st at each neck edge every RS row 4 times – 11(13-15-17-19-21) sts each side. When armholes measure 7(7 1/2-8-8 1/2-8 1/2-9)”, end on WS.

What do I do w/ the original ball of yarn once I join the new one. Also, what do they mean “working both sides at once”?

Help a newbie.

You will be joining a new ball of yarn while leaving the current one attached. Once you start the binding off process, you will have a space in the center of the neck opening, so you will be working two different sides at once, which will become the left shoulder and the right shoulder.

Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the reply. Now, do you attach the new ball of yarn to the old working yarn? I don’t really get it. :shrug:

Oh, I edited my post. The next reply helped me understand.

You are knitting a hole so you must use the new ball to knit one side and the old ball to knit the other side. That’s why you must add a ball of yarn.

I had to do this with a baby sweater so I remember now.
My sweater didn’t turn out because I can’t sew seams.
I may try again next year.

Good luck with yours!

Like knitpickers said, you’re attaching the new ball so you don’t have to go back and pick up stitches to complete the front of the sweater.
All you have to do is drop the yarn you’re working with and start knitting with the new yarn, then you knit each side separately.
Reading this page might help make things clearer.
Also, this post is asking a similar question as you, and reading suzeeq’s answer might help.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I’ll be sure to post a pic when I’m done.