Help with Pattern please

Hi, I am trying to simplify a pattern for my wife but I have come upon something I’m not sure if I understand

BACK

Using 4.5 mm needles cast on 132 stitches.

1st row (right side) - K2, * P2, K4, P2, K2, repeat from * to end.
2nd row - P2, * K2, P4, K2, P2, repeat from * to end
3rd row - K2, * P2, C4F, P2, K2, repeat from * to end.
4th row - As 2nd row.

These 4 rows form cabled welt. Repeat these 4 rows 4 times more, then first 3 rows again

Next row (decrease) - Pattern 5, * work 2 tog, pattern 10, repeat from * to last 7 stitches, work 2 tog, pattern to end, 121 stitches remain.

In general I think I understand what the reference to Pattern in the last instruction means but in this instance I’m getting confused. The cabled welt ends on a Row 3 so does the first pattern instance (Pattern 5) mean the first 5 stitches of Row 4, which is actually Row 2, which if I’m correct would be P2, K2, P1.

Even if I have understood that correctly then the next bit is mind boggling.

• work 2 tog, pattern 10, repeat from * to last 7 stitches,

Is it still continuing on with Row 2 where the previous instruction ended, as in repeat Row 2 from the remainder of the P4 instruction but working 2 together at the start of every block of 12 stitches until the required number remain.

Sorry for being a bit verbose

Ian

That is how I read it! Or that is how I read it and then your explanation confirmed. But we could both be very tired and in need of caffeine and a hug.

Welcome to KH!
2nd row - P2, * K2, P4, K2, P2, repeat from * to end
You can try writing this out but it may just be easier to put in markers for the pattern 5 and (the work 2tog, pattern 10) repeat.
The pattern 5 will use up P2, K2, P1 (one stitch of the cable). The p2tog will use the middle 2sts of the cable. The pattern 10 will then use the remaining 1 stitch of the cable and the following K2, P2 as well as the K2, P3 of the next repeat.
What is the name of your pattern?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Agreed about writing the row out, that is what I have ended up doing. What confused me was that the repeat section of row 2 is a block of 10 stitches but the pattern instruction on the decrease row was a block of 12.

To follow it I’ve written out the full row and then sectioned it into start section, 12 stitch blocks, end section. I just found it so confusing to visualise it any other way.

The pattern is Wendy Merino DK, Round neck cardigan and V neck sweater with cabled welts

Very nice looking!

Yes, it’s not an easily visualized decrease pattern repeat given the cable rib repeat.