help with pattern please

strong textHi Everyone
I’m not only new to your page but new to knitting !!!
an I find myself here for help please. Not to do things by half I’ve commenced my new hobby with a cable knit jumper… back and sleeves all ok but now the pattern has me baffled.
done the welt… first line reads
knit 30 sts work 46 sts from cable pattern row 1 knit remaining 30 sts. that’s all ok
then I get stuck as the pattern continues
Row 2 and every alternate Row knit the K sts and purl the P sts WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ??
Row 3 P2, K3, C6F, P2, K1, P2, Cr2L, P2, Cr3R, Cr3L, P2, Cr2R, P2, K1,. P2, K3, C6F, P2 I hope someone can help me. Many Thanks J

Hi there, your row 2 ( WS wrong side, reverse or private side- there are as many names as there are patterns lol) means you have to look at your stitches on the needle and work what you see. They will be either knit or purl stitches (no cables are usually worked on the WS unless your pattern specifically instructs you to work one)
If you are unsure what stitch it is, turn to the RS (right side, front,public - take your pick!!) and, whatever stitch is showing here, work the opposite on the WS ( RS shows a knit stitch you work a purl on the WS and vice versa) It’s usually clear which stitch to work but, near the cable, the stitches can get a bit squashed up. Take your time initially and soon you’ll be flying along!! Good Luck
ps. Just in case you’re not sure, your knit stitches look a bit like V’s and your purl stitches look like a bar - or a bump. Hope this helps :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you it sure does …I was reversing stitches but doing cable on WS too… undone it 5 times now
So 6th time lucky :four_leaf_clover:
Thank you :pray:

1 Like