Help with pattern instructions

I’m making Shedir using DPNs instead of circs. The directions say to use a stitch marker, but I’m not since I keep the beginning of the row in between two of the needles. The directions say:

Work rounds 1-52. On next round (53), work to last st, sl next st to right needle, remove marker, sl st back to left needle, replace marker. This now represents the beginning of the next round.

Maybe I don’t understand how stitch markers work, or where they’re supposed to go…:wall:

HELP!

They are just asking you to move the beginning of the round one st to the right…

Stitch markers go ON your needle like a stitch, and get slipped each time you come to them

Does the stitch marker go between the first stitch of the row and the last stitch normally? I think that’s part of my problem…

If you were knitting in the round, you’d put a marker between the last and first stitch. I imagine that if you have your’s on dpns there’s no place to put that marker.

On DPNs, you don’t need a stitch marker. The yarn tail shows you at which corner the round begins. :wink:

Ok, I think I may have figured this out… Does it mean to not work the last stitch of round 53? That would make sense, because then you would have this… [first stich of 53] [marker] [last stitch of 52] …on the left needle…then you would slip [last stitch of 52] to the right needle, remove the [marker], slip [last stitch of 52] to the left needle and then replace the [marker], thus moving the marker one stitch to the right like KellyK said. YES?? :thinking:

YES! Like Kelly said, uh, 23 hours ago? :shifty: :smiley:

Ok, new question on same pattern…

Instructions for a ‘cable 3 right’ say:
slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold to back; knit next st from left needle; purl the purl st from cable needle then knit last st from cable needle

Here’s my situation: The next three stitches from right to left (on the left needle) are knit, purl, knit. So, that makes the two stitches to hold to the cable needle (R-L) a knit, purl. So far, so good. I then knit the remaining stitch from the left needle and move to work the cabled stitches. Here’s where I’m stumped. The instructions say to purl into the purl stitch and then knit the knit stitch from the cable needle. But the purl stitch is on the left! :?? Am I not slipping the stitches properly or is there some fangled way to knit left to right that I don’t know? I’m 99% sure I have the stitches from the previous row correct, although this is the start of the first row after working what I had a question about above… HELP!

If pictures would help, please ask and I will get them up.

I get what your saying, and understand your confusion. I think a picture may be in order. :thinking:

Ok, here are some pictures of what I’m talking about. Hopefully they’re clear enough to help you understand what I’m talking about. The caption in the first picture refers to the problem stated in the original post in this thread.

To be perfectly honest, I would at this point just follow the directions as written, even if there’s a glitch here. Then see what happens.

I’m willing to do that, but what I don’t understand is how to do the purl stitch first if it’s on the left…would you suggest just working the knit stitch first and then the purl stitch? The directions say the opposite.

I would work it exactly like the pattern says, or you face having to do the opposite for the rest of it. What you COULD do :idea: Is take a crochet hook and reverse those two stitches to be the correct way and then continue. Put the crochet hook in the front to make the purl into a knit, and put the hook in the back to make the knit into a purl.

Ingrid, I took your advice and just did what the pattern told me and it ended up working out. :cheering: Here’s what I did:
I cabled the two stitches, knitted the next stitch AND THEN, purled the purl stitch from the cable needle (on the left remember) and pulled it off the cable needle from the wrong end. i.e. instead of pulling the stitch off the right end of the needle, I pulled it off the left end. Then I worked the knit stitch from the cable needle and pulled it off the right end. It was wierd, but it worked out! :happydance:

These instructions puzzle me also. Have you considered writing to info@girlfromauntie.com and asking Jenna to clarify?

Purl the stitch on the left and leave it on the needle (obviously), bring your working needle around and knit the stitch on the right, then slip them both off. It is used to create a cable of two stitches without having to use another cable needle.

So then is he doing a cable behind a cable?

That’s what it sounds like. It’ll be a twist of 2, with a third around it. A 3 stitch right cable… like a rope. :slight_smile:

When I first read the directions, that’s what I thought, but I’d never heard of that. I’ll have to try it out, sounds interesting.

Ingrid, I took your advice and just did what the pattern told me and it ended up working out. :cheering: Here’s what I did:
I cabled the two stitches, knitted the next stitch AND THEN, purled the purl stitch from the cable needle (on the left remember) and pulled it off the cable needle from the wrong end. i.e. instead of pulling the stitch off the right end of the needle, I pulled it off the left end. Then I worked the knit stitch from the cable needle and pulled it off the right end. It was wierd, but it worked out! :happydance: