Help with Pattern for Baby Blanket

Please help me with row 2.

So I repeat the pattern until the end and wind up with 4 leftover stitches. The only thing I can think to do is start the pattern over again with the (k2tog)twice. After completing the 4 remaining stitches of the row, I end up with only 82 stitches when I cast on 84. It’s so frustrating. Anytime I do a pattern with a k2tog and yo, I always end up with less stitches than when I started.

What am I doing wrong?

Row 2: with A, *(k2tog)twice. (Yo.k1)4 times. (K2tog)twice. Rep from * to end of row.

Thank you,

Brittany

I get so frustrated when that happens to me! I use markers for every repeat when I find myself making errors, it allows me to know exactly where the error is, and almost always saves me from making the error in the first place.

In your case you would k2tog twice, yo k1 4 times, k2tog twice, place marker and so on after every repeat.

You need to find your error, whether it’s a missing yo or too many k2tog, maybe both. A missing yo is easy enough to fix, I just grab the bar in between stitches and knit, like a m1. If you’ve made an extra k2tog I would just fudge it and m1. But you definitely need to find out exactly where the error is. Since it’s only the second row, maybe it’s best just to frog that row, especially since it’s a different color yarn than the first row.

Take heart, I just frogged a 472 stitch row!

1 Like

Thanks so much, I’ll try this and let you know. What are you making that has 472 rows? Wow!

Unfortunately, even with the stitch markers, I still end up with 4 extra stitches after the last k2tog twice. I don’t know what to do.

I just drew a diagram and came out with the correct # of stitches. Here’s what I did

K2 tog, K2 tog
Yo, k1
Yo, k1
Yo k1
Yo k1
K2 tog, K2 tog
K2 tog, K2 tog
Yo k1
Yo k1
Yo k1
Yo k1
K2 tog, K2 tog
K2 tog, K2 tog
Yo k1
Yo k1
Yo k1
Yo k1
K2 tog, K2 tog

And so on. Maybe it’s how you’re doing the yo’s and K2 tog???

Knitcindy

You should have 12 stitches in between each marker after knitting the second row. start at the first stitch and visually verify the stitches to the last stitch. Say the pattern out loud as you go. It may be time consuming, but you’ll know what you did wrong. Don’t give up!

So I think I may know what I’m doing wrong. I’m doing a yarn over and then also knitting a k1. Am I supposed to be doing the yarn over without slipping the stitch to the other needle and then knitting? Essentially making the yo. K1 just one stitch?

Yes, the yarn over and the knit 1 are two separate stitches. The yarn overs are replacing the stitches decreased in the k2tog. If you think about the decreases (k2tog) the yarn overs are replacing the stitches you decrease so your stitch count remains the same. You will work the yarn over on the following row 3 as a purl. You should have 12 stitches for every repeat.

Here’s a video showing yarn overs.

1 Like