Help with pattern dpn

Hi :slight_smile:

I really need your help please … I’m trying to knit a really pretty bag but it’s on dpn’s and I don’t know what to do. I have never worked with dpn’s before and the only videos I can find are showing me another technique not the one the pattern says.

My pattern says:

Cast on 27 St and k in moss St on 2 needles for 9 rows to make the bag base.

This I have done

Using another dpn pick up 10 St down the side of the base rectangle,
Use another dpn to pick up 26 St along the cast on edge
Another needle for the 10 St up the other side.

A) I have only worked 9 rows

I don’t have a clue how to pick up stitches

All the instructional videos I have seen for working with dpn’s tell me to cast on the total number of stitches on 2 needles and them spread the, across the dpn’s in the right configuration. (Even the ones on this site)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you help

Hannah xx

Ps the pattern is ‘A Gift for Girls’ a lace bag by Dorothy Wood in a Knit-Today.com magazine from March 2011 that I bought of eBay xxx

I tried to insert a picture but it crashed my iPad which completely wiped my original post so I am not a happy bunny!

Oh, I was thinking, could I not cast on the full 73 St but just work with the first 27 St to create the base and then start working with the other needles to start building the bag?

If you want to make the bottom separately, you could do that, but picking up stitches isn’t as hard as you’re thinking. It’s a common technique and I’m pretty sure there’s a video on here. (I can’t watch videos because of severely limited bandwidth, so I can’t look it up for you.) Basically, look at the end of the rows you have just knitted. If you take one of your empty needles and run it through the end of each row, you’ll have nine stitches. You can pick up one more at the base of the last stitch you worked. Depending on how you cast on, you likely have 26 good places to slide another empty needle through. Pick up the last ten the way you did the first, on what is probably your last empty needle.

If you follow the directions, you’ll have all four sides of the bag bottom on four of your five needles, ready to start working in the round. You’ll find that it’s a smoother transition from the bottom to the sides than it would be if you sewed a seam.