Help with neckline

Hi. I am a beginner. Making a baby poncho using Lion Brand Jiffy Hooded Baby Poncho pattern #70361AD. I need help with the neck. The pattern reads, K22, join a new ball of yarn and bind off 18. Continue to work each side at same time with seperate balls of yarn, keeping 4 sts at each side edge in Garter stitch. Dec. 1 st at each neck edge every other row twice. 20 sets each side. Work even for 3 rows. Will I need to use another set of needles for the second ball of yarn? Also what does work each side at same time mean??? Hope someone can help me.
Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome!

Sweet little poncho. You can work both side with the 2 needles that you have been using. Working both sides at the same time ensures that they’ll be the same shape and length although you could work them one side at a time.
After you bind off the center sts for the neck, with yarn strand #2, knit to the end of the row, turn and purl back to the neck. Drop strand #2, pick up strand #1 and purl to the end of row (keep garter stitch pattern at edges). Turn and work the knit row to 3sts from the neck edge, k2tog, k1, drop strand #1, pick up strand #2, k1, ssk and knit to the end of the row. Repeat this a second time with decreases and then continue knitting even (i.e. without decreases) for the given measurement.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. You made the instructions easier to understand. What is the best way to attach new ball of yarn?

You can just start knitting with the new strand of yarn. You can hold about a 6 inch tail in your hand alongside the needle. The first few sts will be a bit loose but you can always snug them up later by pulling on the yarn tail.
Happy knitting!

Thanks again!!! This site is a real lifesaver for beginners :grinning: