Help with neck area, first poncho

Hello, all :slight_smile:
I’ve searched for videos and I’m not in an area with a lot of shops- a lot of the ones that are here close early on Sat and don’t open at all on Sun. Here’s the project link: www.michaels.com/caron-tea-cakes-cozy-up-knit-poncho/B_83697.html?productsource=projects

Here’s the area I’m having a problem with: 1st row: (RS). K46. K2tog (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle. ***Keeping cont of pat, dec 1 st at neck edge on next 5 rows. 42 sts.

Does this mean to take 63 stitches off and put them on a stitch holder? After that, it mentions moving 13 sts onto a holder… I’m not getting how all of the stitches being put to the side end up back in the project. It’s been a lot of work already- I don’t want to mess it up here.

Thank you!

You could take the 61sts off and place on a holder or waste yarn or you could leave them on the needle and ignore them for the moment. You’ll be working the shoulders one at a time. (The first shoulder is knit 46, k2tog so that’s 48sts.)

After you bind off the current shoulder, slip the next 13sts, the center sts to a holder join a new end of yarn and work on the 48sts of the second shoulder.

Hi Salmonmac,

Thank you! That’s a bit more clear now. I really appreciate your reaponse!