Help With My Vogue Scarf! DPN help

Hey There Fellow Knitters,
I appreciate you reading this to see if you can help me. My pattern is from last year’s Vogue Knitting magazine I don’t know if anyone has it or remembers it. (the cover picture shows the project) it’s a red scarf and aside from each end having a band of 4" long stockinette stitch, the scarf is separated into 5 thin bands knit in the round so they’re long tubes, then the tubes are woven together in a complicated braid and the stockinette stitch is finished on the end.

WHERE I’M AT: I started the stockinette stitch 4"long, folded it in half so the ends meet and now have 5 stitches from one side on one double point needle and 4 from the other side on the other double point needle.

THE PROBLEM: I need to knit them in a circle to make the strand a tube. How do I do this? I do have 4 double point needles, but getting this thing to turn into a tube has my head turned.

I think someone will read this, shake their head and smile at my stuckness!
Thank you for your help!

You need to have the stitches divided onto 3 needles to make the tube. You can put 3 on each, and then you knit with the 4th needles.

Amy has video on knitting in the round with dpns if you’re not familiar with it.

I remember that scarf! It’s very cool! I’d seen the cover in an advertisement of the issue and went crazy finding the magazine so I could have the pattern. Of course, you know I’ve not made it yet, and it’s nowhere near the top of my ‘to do’ pile. But some day… :slight_smile:

Good Luck with your project. I’d love to see a pic of it when you’re done.

Marilyn

I too remember the scarf and have the pattern, but I just thought, “3 or 4 feet of 5 icords?:zombie:” BTW, there was a KAL for that scarf sometime the beginning of this year, check that forum for problems/advice:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I will try to knit it in the round. I have knit in the round on DPN before, but not from a band of stockinette stitch…that’s what confused me.
Thanks again!
Happy knitting,
KAB

What is a KAL, Mulderknitter?
I couldn’t find the problems/advice for that scarf…
Thanks everybody!

KAL = Knit-Along and you can find the thread [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”][B]here[/B][/COLOR].

Okay everyone, thanks for the help and I did check out the KAL thread…HOWEVER-
I tried knitting it this afternoon and I got all tangled up.
For starters I only had 3 of the 4 DPNs, but it seems to me I could still knit in the round with 3? I tried to connect the stitches but they ended up being just a line of stitches on one side and a line on the other side.
I have knit in the round on DPN before, but it’s that the stitches are coming from two different sides of the band that’s folded in half that is getting me tangled up.
Any more help? Thank you!