Help with multiples

I’m doing a prayer shawl for a charity but instead of knitting with two strands and big needle (size 13) I want to use only one strand and smaller needle (size 7).

Original pattern calls for 58 sts to be knit as follows:

Row 1: K5, *p4, (k1tbl, p1) 3 times, k1tbl; repeat from * until 9 sts left, p4, k5

Row 2: K5, *K4, p1, (k1tbl, p1) 3 times; repeat from * until 9 sts left, k9.

What is the pattern repeat? I want to have a 10 st border on each side. My gauge is 5 sts per inch and pattern call for 3 sts per inch.

I just can’t seem to figure this out myself! Help!

Not sure of the repeat, but if all you want is a 10 stitch border just increase the 5 to 10 at the beginning of the row. That shouldn’t affect the pattern repeat.

[B]Counting stitches: [/B]
5k, (p4 +(k1tbl + p1)*3 +k1tbl )*unstated + 9 = 58
5sts + (4sts +(1sts + 1 sts)*3 ) *x repeats + 9 sts = 58sts total

subtract the first edge (5 sts) and the last edge (9 sts) from the total: then count the sts in the repeat and divide evenly
58 - 9 - 5 = 44 = (4 + 6 + 1 ) * Repeat 4 times

The repeated pattern is eleven stitches:
4 + 3 time ( 1 ktbl + 1 p) = 4 + 3( 2 ) = 6
Note: so long as the k1 through back loop and purl 1 are in separate stitches. Please consult pattern for description of k1tbl.

Now with pattern gauge of 58 sts / 3 sts per inch = 19 + 1/3 inches.

19.33 * your 5 sts per inch would require about 95 stitches total.

As given the pattern has k5, p4 ,(repeat 4 sections) end with p4, k5 (which gives a similar/symmetric three inch border at 3 SPI (sts / inch)
using 5 SPI you would get about a two inch border so if you want a pattern to span 19 inches total that is 15 inches of the center repeat of 11 stitches so 15*5 is 75 so 6 repeats would be 15 + 66 + 15 = 96 sts total.

You should then be able to follow their pattern and get two inch borders as you want with the gauge of 5 SPI.

I hope this helps you see the pattern repeat. I did not do a test knit to verify and am just visualizing the pattern.

:muah: Thanks, Jack. Makes perfect sense!