Help with "long" short rows

I FINALLY picked up the baby bolero again I have been working on FOREVAH. Ripped it back to the 103 stitches before the shaping starts, and ready to redo the right front (have yet to rip back the left front). The first time I tried it, I ended up with a holey mess because the directions indicated just to slip.

I have 103 stitches on the needle, here are the rest of the directions.

NEXT ROW: K37 sts, leave these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: P to last st, sl 1

NEXT ROW: K10 sts, levae these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: K8 sts, levae these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: K6 sts, leave these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: K4 sts, leave these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: K2 sts, leave these sts on a holder, K to end

NEXT ROW: SKPO, K to end

NEXT ROW: P to last 2 sts, p2tog tbl.

Rep the last 2 rows twice more.

NEXT ROW: SKPO, K to end

Then the armhole shaping, which I get, and when all is said and done and the fronts are seamed to the back at the shoulders, you pick up & knit up the side, across the neck, and down the other side.

So on that first row, should I K37, do a W&T on 38, the K the rest of the row, purl back, knit that wrapped stitch, turn and knit 10, W&T on 11, K the rest of the row? Will that help hide those holes I had the first time after I had picked up the stitches along the front?

I’m thinking that you’d have to do it in an opposite way. Purl to the last 38, w&t , and knit back.

Then you’d purl to the last 47, w&t, knit back. (working 10 less stitches)

Purl to the last 55, etc (working 8 less stitches)

purl to the last 61

purl to the last 65

purl to the last 66.

This way you’re not working those stitches at the end, as if you’d but them on the holder.

When all the short rows are done, then you do one row all the way across, picking up the wraps.

Does this make sense, or do I have it wrong in my head?

Could I just knit those wraps when I pick up and knit the stitches around the edges? I think if I knit the wraps across the rows after I did them, it would leave me back down at the point of the tie? It’s supposed to make a rapid decrease across the front to make part of the tie at the bottom front of the bolero.

Here’s a picture of the left front which I haven’t ripped back yet (the first 37 stitches I put on a holder since that’s the point I have to rip back to), and the right front that is ripped back. Actually I do have to purl across, but if I’m going to do it like you recommended, that will work out just fine.

I don’t think that it matters when you pick up the wraps as long as they get picked up on the last row you work those stitches.