HELP with Lace Pattern

This is my first knitting pattern. It is super easy, but I don’t know what something means :slight_smile: Here is an example of a row: K1, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k10; rep from across. It says to go to a certain number, Then it says Next row: work even in pat. What does that mean, “work even in pattern”? HELP! :knitting:

Work even in pattern means to continue the pattern stitches that you have been doing without any additional increases or decreases. Usually that means without increases or decreases for shaping e.g. in the body of a sweater or at the armholes.
What pattern are you making? Can you provide a link to it?

I’d read it to mean to knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you.

Unfortunately, it is in a magazine. It is in the newest Love of Knitting. Summer Breeze Cardi. I read about not increasing or decreasing, but if you continue in pattern, you still have to do YO for the lace. Isn’t that increasing? That is the part that threw me. Luckily I was reading ahead, so I am not to that point yet. Maybe it will make more sense when I am at that point. I guess that is why you don’t start with an intermediate lace pattern when you have never knit lace before :slight_smile: But it looked easy enough…

Yes, a YO is an increase. Reading ahead is okay, but DO it one step at a time and it usually makes sense when you come to it.

Do you have a link to the pattern or even the name? It helps us answer if we can see it.

It is in the Summer 2012 line of Love of Knitting, Name is Summer Breeze Cardi.

This is the instructions for the Left front:

Stitch Pattern:

Row 1: (RS) *K4, yo, ssk, k12; rep from * across
Row 2 and all even: Purl
Row 3: *K1, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k10; rep from * across
Row 5: *K4, yo, ssk, k7, yo, ssk, k3 rep from * across
Row 7: *K 10, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k1; rep from *across
Row 9: *k4, yo, ssk, k7, yo, ssk, k3; rep from 8 across

Now the actual instructions say: Cast on blah blah blah, Next row: K2, work 4 reps of lace pat, knit to last 4 sts, sl 1, k2tog psso k1.

Then you repeat last 2 rows until there are 22 sts left, then you work even in pat. until it measures 9 1/2"

My other question besides work even in pattern, when it sayd 4 reps of lace, does that mean 4 repeats from * or 4 repeats of row 1-10? I thought it meant 4 repeats from *, but then it wouldn’t work out as the peice got smaller…

Maybe I will scrap it and do an easier patter. But this one didn’t look that hard :teehee:

Okay, ‘work even in pattern’ would mean to continue the lace pattern rows with no decs. When it says 4 repeats, that’s talking about the repeated sts in each row. so there would be 2 knit sts, go into the lace pattern and after 4 repeats do plain knit and dec at the end of the row. Maybe before you were doing 5 repeats of the lace across each row, but because of the decs you just do some sts in stockinette instead. The decs may not be that frequent, so you may not decrease enough of them to not work 4 repeats, but if you do, then just work 3 repeats, knit to the end and dec as on the row given.

Sorry to be confusing. That’s what I meant about continuing in pattern but without shaping. The shaping is the
"Next row: K2, work 4 reps of lace pat, knit to last 4 sts, [U]sl 1, k2tog psso k1."
[/U] part. Yes, you do need to continue the yo’s and k2togs of the lace pattern but without any decreases at the edges that contribute to the shape.
I think this pattern seems very do-able, just a few clarifications along the way. And it will be worth it in the end.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I think that makes sense. And by the way, I have to say, how wonderful it is to have this forum. I was stressing about it last night and googled it. Found the forum that I forgot was here…Voila - I can now work on this sweater :grphug: Thank you again for your fast responses! I am going to try it, let’s see how far I get!