Help with Lace pattern!

So I found this adorable bolero and it’s not turning out like the picture at all!

The lace pattern is where I’m having difficulties. Lace pattern as follows:

row 1: k1 (k2together, yo, yo, ssk) repeat lace pattern until 1 stitch left, k1

row 2: p1 (p1, p1 into first yo, p1 into the back of the second yo, p1) repeat lace pattern until 1 stitch left, p1

I’ve been following the pattern for a couple of rows and it looks really messy. I’m not sure if I’m doing the YO2 wrong, or if I’m not purling correctly into the yarn overs?

And on a random note: is there a difference between k2tog and ssk? They don’t look different to me.

HUGE thank you in advance :hug:

row 1: k1 (k2together, yo, yo, ssk) repeat lace pattern until 1 stitch left, k1

row 2: p1 (p1, p1 into first yo, p1 into the back of the second yo, p1) repeat lace pattern until 1 stitch left, p1

First a general comment. You only repeat what is inside the parenthesis. You probably know that, but just in case.

I’m not sure if I’m doing the YO2 wrong, or if I’m not purling correctly into the yarn overs?

To do the double YO bring the yarn to the front then over the top of the needle and around to the front again and then hold it if needed to the of top the right hand needle, or you can think of it as holding the yarn out behind the needle while you do the SSK.

To purl the 2 YO’s… the first one you will be purling into the single strand of yarn that runs from the LHN (left hand needle) to the piece of work, and after you purl it, let only that one strand come off the LHN. Now you have kind of a longish strand coming down on the near side of the LHN to the work and the back leg of the large loop behind the needle. I suggest that to learn where to do the purl that you turn the work so that you are looking at the back side and insert the RHN into the little leg on that side right to left (it feels like the right way to purl working from this side), then turn your work back to the right side and see where it is. Then you can take the needle out of the spot and try to put it in the same place and orientation from the front without turning it around. When you can be sure that you are getting it in the right place proceed to yarn around and finish your purl stitch. Be sure to maneuver around that long strand that runs to the work, don’t involve it in the purl.

And on a random note: is there a difference between k2tog and ssk? They don’t look different to me.

A k2tog and a SSK are similar but the k2tog slants like this (/) and the SSK slants like this ().

I notice that along the right side of the big eyelets formed by the double YO there is a very obvious strand of yarn running from the p2togtbl that was worked along that side. But I found that when I was all done if I’d take each eyelet and stretch it side to side that the annoying strand would go where it should a bit better. Maybe that is the messy thing you were talking about.

One thing: Lace looks ugly until blocked. Your pattern is very lace, thus can look quite messy, but once blocked, it should come out nice.

As has been said, there is a difference between k2tog and ssk, in the way they are slanting (you generally do a yo before a ssk, and after a k2tog, so as to open the holes up correctly, since those decreases also affect the outcome of yarnovers)

Another way to look at the double yarn over is to consider it one large stitch into which you want to purl front and back (pfb). There’s a video that may help on the KH website.

I remember a scarf from knitty that used double yarn overs, and I remember doing those on WS rows,… but I’m not too sure how it was done. I think it was “purl first yo, knit second yarn over”. Something like that.

I figured out what I was doing wrong and why it looked so messy! 1. Instead of YO2 I was doing a YO4 (because it made two loops/stitches). 2. I had no idea how to knit on the backside of the 2nd yarn over. I googled that exact phrase and found the solution at this site on a fellow knitters blog.

I am glad to say that I have made progress with the bolero and all is smooth sailing. For now at least.:knitting:

I’m glad you figured out. It can be tricky at times. But if you keep on going, slowly, steadily, however fast or slow you feel comfortable with, you’ll get it in the end