Help with knitting pattern

Hi, can anyone help. I am knitting an A line wrap from a James C Brett pattern number J B 820
I thought I was following the pattern but seemed to get lost when the instructions stated " Work from 1st to 72nd row once, rep from * to * 7 times on each row" I ended up with 100 extra stitches and had to cast off 49 rows early.
Help where did I go wrong!!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!

It’s easy to go off in this stitch pattern. It’s Old Shale sometimes called Feather and Fan. There’s usually a pattern row of k2tog 3times, (yarn over, k1) 6 times followed by k2tog 3 times. Is that similar to your pattern instructions? Is it possible that you left out a set of the k2tog 3 times

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Yes that’s the pattern, I think that I followed the pattern correctly knitting K3 tog 3 times then yo 6 times , I think where I went wrong was that after you knit the first 72 rows you go back to the beginning and it changes to k3 tog three times then yo k1 5 times for 72 rows then you go back to the beginning and start from 1 to 72 and K3 tog 3 times yo k1 7 times the start 72 rows again but this time changing the yo K1 9 times and I think this is where I went wrong, it was very confusing. Should I have been increasing my K 3 tog 3 times when I was increasing the Yo K1?

Thanks

The pattern stitch is commonly something like this:
*K2tog 3 times, (yo knit 1) 6 times, k2tog 3 times, repeat from *

Effectively you’re working k2tog 6 times, (yo knit 1) 6 times where the increases and decreases are equal.
Can you quote exactly the entire row where the pattern changes to (yo,k1)7times or 9times? Only those two rows please due to designer copyright.

Hi, after completing the72nd row it states Work from 1st to 72nd row once, rep from to * 5 times on each row.
Then after completing the 72nd row it asks that you start again from 1st to 72nd row once from
to *7 times on each row.
Finally it asks you to work from 1st to 64th row one rep from to9 times on each row.
Thanks

OK, so the basic pattern isn’t as I wrote out.
It’s [k3tog 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times] and that sequence is repeated across the row.
Then it changes to [k3tog 3 times, (yo, k1) 5 times].
Then [k3tog 3 times, (yo, k1) 7 times].
Then [k3tog 3 times, (yo, k1) 9 times].

The first repeat of rows 1-72 has no increases or decreases.
The second repeat decreases one stitch each time you work the brackets across the row.
The third repeat increases one stitch each time you work the brackets across the row. So the last two rows balance each other.
The fourth repeat has an increase of 3sts each time you work the brackets across the row.

As you suspected this is where the stitch count is increasing. How many repeats in brackets do you have before working this fourth row repeat? That number times 3 will tell you how many increased stitches you should have at the end of the row.

Hi, I have now given up on the pattern and cast off as I was so confused but I think I had at least 4 or 5 repeats and I think this was why I had so many stitches

Sometimes letting it sit in time-out for a while helps. It’s a curious pattern and one that’s not straightforward to me. At any rate, knitting should be enjoyable, maybe a challenge but not a chore.
Better luck with your next project and let us know how it goes.

(There should be 12-15 increased sts for each repeat of the pattern row. If that row repeats 6 times over the 72rows that would be 72-90sts increased. )

2 posts were split to a new topic: Meaning of Pattern Directions?