Help with knitting 2 pulling 2

Hi all, I’m new to knitting and trying to do a simple pair of fingerless gloves.
The start and wrist section is knit 2 purl 2 for 3 inches. I start off really well, then seem to loose it and end up with three stitches left at the end?!?
Any good ideas on how to keep track, other than the obvious (concentration), I’ve got three kids and a none stop talking husband!!!
Help please x

Welcome!
Certainly sounds like you have lots of competition for your time. I sometimes repeat, “K2, p2.” across the row until my fingers get used to the rhythm and also glance down at the previous rows to make sure the columns of knits or purls are aligning nicely.
You could also try markers maybe every 8 or 12sts. That forces you to look at what’s happening so that you don’t get to the end of the row with the incorrect number of sts left.

3 Likes

Maybe this will help… One of the most important things a new knitter can learn is to read your knitting. Each stitch has two sides and when you knit a stitch the back side is a purl and and when you purl a stitch it’s a knit on the back. Ribbing is always knitting the knits and purling the purls as they face you on the side you’re knitting on. So if you end with 2 purl stitches when you turn your work you’ll start with two knits.

2 Likes

I don’t have any additionals suggestions to offer but here’s a vote of confidence that you’ll get it figured out. Anyone who can learn to knit with “three kids and a none stop talking husband!!!” can do this. Be patient with yourself, maybe insist on a little bit of quiet time too. It might be good for everyone.

I guess I did offer suggestions, just not directed toward k2,p2 rib.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing that wrong too then, no wonder it doesn’t look right. I’ve been ending on 2 purl, so starting on 2 purl!!!

How do you tell which side is front and back of your knitting???

1 Like

Thank you I shall try this.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. I do have a high level of determination with this!!! :upside_down_face:

Ribbing is the same on both sides so choose which side will be your front and place a safety pin or locking marker on one side. I usually place it on the front.