Help with jumper pattern

First question please, my jumper.
I am working a rib pattern k3, p3 with circular needles.
Body - cast on 156 sts is done.
Worked to 28cm then comes the bind off for armholes … So, I have to bind off 4 stitches at each side?? And then knit the pattern separately for front and back

I think I am struggling due not being familiar with circular needles - As this is the circumference of the whole jumper in the round.
I have attempted the 4 bind off at the begging of the row, knit to the end, turn and bind off 4 sts at start of next row, I end up with 148 sts, which is correct, but is it right that I do the first bind off with the whole of the 156 stitches in the round.
My understanding is that I bind off only at the beginning of a row so if I do this I have both ends with a bind off of 4 stitches. Which just doesn’t seem right?

Then if I ever get round to accomplishing that, for front section with 74 sts I have to bind off for armholes every other row: 2 sts 1 (2-2) times, 1st 1 (1-2) times = 68 sts

I am doing the small size jumper, not sure what “every other row, 2 sts, 1 st means” ???
Does this make any sense??
Maybe I am beyond help haha ,:frowning:

Yes, bind off 4sts at the beginning of the round. Then knit the next 73sts. This plus the one stitch left on the right needle after the bind off will give you 74sts. Now knit 2 more sts and begin to bind off 4sts. You should be at the opposite side of the round from the initial bind off with 74sts for the back and 74sts for the front.

Now you’re going to work back and forth on the front section. Knit one row, turn and bind off 2sts at the beginning of the row, work to the armhole bind off, turn and bind off 2sts at the beginning of the row. You only have to do this once. Now repeat the process, binding off one stitch at the beginning of the next 2 rows.

Many thanks for the speedy advice. I’m very grateful and will let you know how I get on. :grinning:

Sorry, I am stuck - I don’t understand when you say knit the next 73sts. This plus the one stitch left on the right needle after the bind off will give you 74sts.

Because I am knitting on circular needles I don’t have a stitch left on the right needle after the bind off???

Then if I knit 2 more sts and begin to bind off 4sts. I end up with 2 sts in the middle of the bind offs???

Please could you explain

Thanks in advance of any help :hugs:

Are you doing the common stich over stitch bind off? Start at the beginning of round and knit 2sts, lift the first stitch over the 2nd. You have one stitch on the right needle. Knit another stitch and again lift the first over the 2nd. That’s 2 sts bound off and you have one stitch left on the right needle. Repeat this 2 more times. You’ll have bound off 4sts. There’ll be a single stitch on the right needle. Now knit 73 more sts. You’ll have 74 sts after the gap created by the bind off.

Now repeat the bind off of 4sts. You’ll end with a single stitch on the right needle and 73 more sts before the gap created by the first bind off. You won’t have 2sts in the middle of either bind off and your knitting will look approximately like this.
KH2