Help with instructions

Hello!

I am knitting http://purlavenue.com/2014/05/knitted-dogwood-blossoms.html

The instructions say:
CO 5 sts.
Row 1 (WS): purl.
[B]Row 2: [m1, k1] x5. (10 sts)[/B]
Row 3: purl.

Question: Row 2 it says m1, k1 5X, which I did, but there’s 5 sts on my right needle and 5 on the left. Do I knit the remaining 5 stson the left needle to finish the row? It doesn’t say what to do with them?

:???:

You start with 5sts and the pattern wants you to increase 5 times for a total of 10sts. That means m1, k1, m1, k1, m1, k1, m1, k1, m1, k1. You can use a m1 for the increase as suggested

That’ll use up the 5 cast on sts so you won’t have extra sts hanging out on the right needle.

That’s such a lovely pattern, particularly at this time of year. Our dogwoods are in bloom just now and they are heavenly.

Thank you Salmonmac, that’s exactly the instructions I followed: m1 k1 for 5x. Once I’ve done that there is still 5 sts on my left needle? When I cast on 5 sts and m1 then knit that same 1, I’m still left with 5 sts, it doesn’t make sense? I wish I could attach a photo to show you what I mean, it would help explain what I’ve done. The pattern is very cute and I would love to figure it out :slight_smile:

Cast on 5sts. You’ll have only 5 loops over the needle. Purl those 5sts. Now work work row 2 by alternating m1, k1 as given above. That’ll give you 10sts (10 loops over the needle) and use up all the sts on the left needle.
When you do the m1, put the new loop, the m1 onto the righthand needle. Don’t knit into it again. You won’t work into it until row 3 when you purl all 10sts.

Ahhhhh! Thank you, that’s what I was doing wrong, I was knitting the m1 stitch. Thank you so much for explaining it to me and understanding what I was doing wrong :slight_smile:

So in any pattern, if it says to make 1 stitch is it always put onto the right needle?

Oh, great! Glad you’ve got it.
The M1 goes onto the right needle. I think that all the other increases work that way too, KLL, KRL, Kfb, and other make ones.

Thankyou. I have 4 petals made and almost ready to assemble my flower. I’m already thinking about variations. :slight_smile: Thanks for your help!