Help with instructions

This is first time I am posting, not sure I am doing it correctly, but here goes. I recently purchased Peter Gregory’s The Wind in the Willows pattern book. Trying to knit Mr. Toad. Having problem with these instructions: “Dec 1 st at each end of next and every foll 6th row twice (14 sts). Work 5 rows” Up to this point I have 20 stiches on needle, working in stocking stitch. Will I work as follows:
1st row dec, work 2, 3, 4, 5 in pattern, 6th row dec (that would be 16 stitches), 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 in pattern, 12th row dec (14 stitches) then work 5 rows.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

I think you’ve got it but you’re only counting 4 rows between the dec ones, which would make them every 5th row instead. Dec, then work 5 more rows in stockinette and the row after that is the 6th row, dec again and repeat. There’s 3 decrease rows total and you’ll have 14 sts left.

[quote=lmcdonald;1350982]This is first time I am posting, not sure I am doing it correctly, but here goes. I recently purchased Peter Gregory’s The Wind in the Willows pattern book. Trying to knit Mr. Toad. Having problem with these instructions: “Dec 1 st at each end of next and every foll 6th row twice (14 sts). Work 5 rows” Up to this point I have 20 stiches on needle, working in stocking stitch. Will I work as follows:
1st row dec, work 2, 3, 4, 5 in pattern, 6th row dec (that would be 16 stitches), 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 in pattern, 12th row dec (14 stitches) then work 5 rows.
Your directions say the NEXT row and every 6th row TWICE, so you need three decrease rows. The ones you mentioned, then work 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and decrease on row 18. That will give you three decrease rows and you will be left with the 14 stitches ( 3 dec rows of 2 sts each equals 6 decs from 20 equals 14)