Help with Increases in Rib Pattern

Hello,

I am trying to knit a dog sweater and I’m struggling to maintain my rib pattern with the increases.

There is a 2-row pattern where R1 is knit and R2 is K1P1.
I’m supposed to increase at both ends of the row on each row.
So on the K1P1 I did a kfb on one of the knit stitches at each end.
But I’m not sure what to do now on the knit row to maintain my pattern. Should I do the same thing into one of the knit stitches from the row before? Or use a M1 increase somewhere instead, but if so where do I put it - in a knit or purl stitch from the row before? Or is there a better way that I don’t know.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: As requested here is the link to the free pattern Bernat Knit Dog Coat.
http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/knit-dog-coat.html?id=191084

Here is the section I am currently working on
1st row: (WS). Knit.
2nd row: *K1. P1. Rep from * to last st. K1. Last 2 rows form pat.
Work 1 more row in pat.
Continue in pat, inc 1 st at each end of needle on next and every row to 61 sts, then on every following alt row to 69 sts, taking inc sts into pat.

Can you tell us the pattern name and provide a link if it’s not in a book? Don’t post the whole pattern.

Does the pattern suggest an increase?

1 Like

I posted the link to the pattern in the original post as well as the lines I’m currently working on.

You’re on the right track. Just increase in the first/last stitch on each side. As you add multiples of two, you’ll work those stitches into the 1x1 pattern. If you try to add a stitch anywhere but the edge, it’ll throw off the 1x1 row. Like so:

kfb, * p1, k1* to last two stitches, p1, kfb (I’m making an assumption about where the k1, p1 is starting here.)
kfb, knit to last stitch, kfb

All the increases at the edge will be hidden later as you will pick up stitches around the edges to do the trim and they’ll be in the seam there at that point. So don’t worry about how the kfb looks at this point.