Help with increase

Hi, I’m fairly new to knitting but I have completed several successful projects. I am currently trying to knit a lion toy for my friend’s child. I am knitting in the round on 3 dpn, starting with 12 stitches. I am confused by the increases. Which are as follows:

Rnd 2: *K2, M1R; rep from * around - 18 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 4: *K3, M1R; rep from * around - 24 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 6: *K6, M1R, rep from * around - 28 sts.

Do I start the pattern as a fresh on each needle? If I continue the pattern around I end up with too many stitches. It’s the rnd 6 that bothers me the most.
Any help will be gratefully received!! Thanks in advance!!

When you knit in the round on a circular needle or DPNs you place a marker where you join in the round and that will tell you where each round starts and ends. The stitch before the marker being the end of one round and the stitch after the marker being the start of the next round and therefore in your case one round is complete when you have knitted on the 3 dpns. What is the name of your pattern?

1 Like

@Jo_Hamlett thank you for your reply. I understand the beginning and end of the round. However, if I do as the pattern states, knit however many and then increase, I end up with too many stitches.
My pattern is Martha Stewart Crafts knitted lion.

Row 2 you will be picking up and knitting into the bar between the 2nd and 3rd stitches 6 times - 12 + 6 = 18
Row 4 you will be picking up and knitting into the bar between the 3rd and 4th stitches 6 times - 18 + 6 = 24
Row 6 you will be picking up and knitting into the bar between the 6th and 7th stitches 4 times - 24 + 4 = 28

1 Like

@Jo_Hamlett that’s brilliant thanks. Do I count the increased stitch as a knit in the pattern? So when I increase do I count that as a knitted stitch? Sorry to be a pain!!

I think you will count the increases you made in Round 2 as actual stitches in Round 4 and then the increases you made in Rounds 2 and 4 as actual stitches in Round 6. I think that’s right though I’m rubbish at maths! I’m also not very good at explaining things sometimes so somebody might like to put this a little better than I can :slight_smile:

@Jo_Hamlett thank you so much for your response. I’ll give it a go as you suggest :blush:

Do you think this will work? I feel like it’s not even though??

That looks right to me

1 Like

@Jo_Hamlett thank you so much for your help. I’ll give it a go and hopefully it’ll turn out better than my first attempt! :see_no_evil:

1 Like