Help with herringbone pattern please

Hi

I need help with a herringbone pattern from Judy Lamb please.

The pattern reads: Instructions are for 3 month size (instructions in braces are for 6-12 month size)

Cast on 154 sts.
Row1: (RS): P4, M1, K3, P2, P3tog, P2, K3, M1 *P6, M1, K3, P2, P3tog, P2, K3, M1, repeat from * to last 4 sts - P4

Row 2: K4, P4, K5, P4, (K6, P4, K5, P4) to last 4 sts, K4

Row 1 worked out fine (I have 154 stitches at the end of this row), but at Row 2 when I used the 6-12 size instructions I could not end with 4 sts. I always ended with 6sts.

Not sure where I am going wrong?

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Maybe this pattern?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pleated-herringbone-set
The numbers in the rows work out correctly. There are 17 sts, a repeat of 19sts x 7 and then 4sts for both rows.
Since it’s only two sts extra it may be a random mistake and putting markers between repeats will help sort that out.
The other possibility depends on the way you do the M1. Are you using a stitch for the increase or are you lifting the bar between sts?

Hi Salmonmac
Yes that is the pattern I am attempting to knit. I purchased the pattern in the book ‘Elegant Ensembles to Knit’ by Judy Lamb. A vintage baby knitting book.
Thank you for the help. The M1 stitch I am using is the one recommended in the book which is the ‘lift the bar & knit in the back’ version.
This may sound daft but I was reading the figures in brackets as the larger size only, as it says this in the pattern in the ‘Notes’ section.

But your interpretation of this makes sense.

I will give it another go, many thanks for your help:)