Help with Glove Pattern

Hi all! Intermediate knitter here. I have never made gloves before, but I found a glove pattern that I absolutely love. However, I’m having trouble understanding certain directions.

Here is part of the pattern. The parts that I am confused about have been bolded:

RIGHT GLOVE - Cuff - Cast on 48 sts; place 16 sts on each of 3 needs, join. Work k 2, p 2 ribbing for 3 ins. Mark end of rounds. Slip 2 sts from 2nd needle to first needle.

Hand - Round 1 - K 4, p 1, k 3, inc. 1 st in next st, k 3, inc. 1 st in next st, k 4, p 1 - 20 sts on first needle*; k 6, inc. 1 st in each of next 2 sts for thumb gore, k 6 - 16 sts on 2nd needle**; k 16 sts of 3rd needle; 52 sts.

p 1 - 20 sts on first needle So, does this mean I am knitting on that first needle twice in a row? You don’t get 20 sts on that first needle until after you have already followed the previous directions. So do I go back and work those stitches twice before moving on to the next needle?
k 6 - 16 sts on 2nd needle, I guess this is a similar question to the previous one. But here, you only knit stitches #6 through 16? So stitches #1-5 don’t get worked on at all?

Also, I have been assuming the “first needle” is the one that was cast on, is that right?

Any help would be appreciated!! Sorry if these are dumb or obvious questions. Still learning!

Welcome!
The note “20sts” or “16sts” is just confirming that you ha e these correct stitch totals on your needles. Don’t go back and reknit any sts.

Start at the beginning of needle 2 by knitting the first 6sts on the needle.

Usually needle one is at the beginning of the round. It’s where the cast on started.
We love questions here so don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks so much for replying! :slight_smile:

That helps a lot, but I still have some questions:

First Needle: k4, p1, k3, inc. 1 st in next st, k3, inc. 1 st in next st. k4 Total sts = 20 on first needle. Doesn’t this only add up to 17 sts, though? Also, Why does it say “p” for purl, then? Does “p” mean something else here?

Second needle: k6, inc. 1 st in each of next two sts. Isn’t this only 10 total sts? Do I knit the rest?

Third needle: k16 sts (This one is easy).

Am I doing the math wrong?

To increase in a stitch use something like a kfb (knit front and back). It’ll use up a stitch and you’ll end up with 2sts where you formerly had one.

On the first needle you have 8sts, then the increase (2sts), 3sts, an increase (2sts) and finally 5sts for a total of 20sts.
In the first post you quote “p 1”? but even if it only says “p”, it’s a purl one. P is a standard abbreviation for purl unless the pattern defines it otherwise (which would be surprising).

On needle 2 you have 6sts, increase (2sts), increase (2sts), 6sts for a total of 16sts.

OOOOH That makes SO much more sense now!!

I was reading p 1-20 as p 1 through 20! Like, purl 20 stitches. That’s why I was so confused. Dumb mistake, haha.

Thank you SO MUCH! You’re a lifesaver! I can’t wait to do this now that I know what I am doing, haha!

Aha, glad to help out. Enjoy making the gloves and post a photo. We’d love to see them.