Help with gauge

I have been knitting for years, off and on, but have never paid much attention to gauge. But i am starting a sweater for my daughter and want it to fit, so I did the swatch, and here is what I got: stitches per inch are fine. However, the number of rows required is about three quarters of an inch more than it should have been. Instead of 4" it was 4 and 3/4. What do I do to make it right? Help, please! Thanks

the row gauge isn’t so importnat as the stitch gauge.

HAve a look at the pattern and see if the instructions say thinsg like ‘work for 5 inches’ or ‘work for 20 rows’.

If it is the former, then you just work for the length it says and it doesnt matter how many rows it takes you to get there. If it says to work X number of rows, just be aware that occasionally you may have to work one or two less so as not to elongate things. This normally isn’t a problem id it is just one or two rows as the difference is barely perceptable, but could add up over a greater span.

Is there much of a pattern involved going lengthwise? If you have repeats going, you’ll have to figure out whether you can deal with either stopping a repeat short or a repeat long of the length you want. Otherwise, as Sophie says, just stop when it’s the right length. If it gives it by row instead of by length, just do the math – multiply and/or divide by the gauge, so if it’s 20 rows to 4", and the pattern calls for 100 rows, you know the length is supposed to be 20" long. I think. :wink:

Anyway, it’s just a pattern, so figure out how long you want it to be and knit it to that! I love customizing patterns so they work for me, not for someone else! :slight_smile:

Have fun!

This pattern does have a cable running up one side of the front, but I can see you’re right about the length. I tend to get hung up on things like “32 rows = 4 in.” Thank you very much to both of you for your replies, I will be starting soon! Thanks again, ljack89

Row gauge is a very difficult animal. If you have the perfect stitch gauge I think it is nearly impossible to do anything to bring the row gauge into line as well. But like it was said you can work around it. Depending on how “row dependent” the pattern is it can be easy or a bit harder.