Help with gaps using DPNs

Hi.
I’m using DPNs for the first time. They are size 2.25 UK. I seem to be getting large gaps inbetween each needle. Do these close up after a few rows? I’m trying to keep my tension the same on each needle. Your help would be much appreciated!
Thanks x

Hi, you need to tug the yarn a little to take up the slack when you change to the next dpn, not too hard, just enough to close the gap.
I don’t think they will close after a few rows if they are very loose, you can sometimes take up a little extra yarn by pulling the fabric gently between your fingers and blocking afterwards will help also.
If the ladders are really loose it’s probably best to begin again, call this one a practice try :grinning:
Hope this helps
Linda

Thanks Linda. It’s my first time using them so there will probably be a lot of ripping down and starting again :grin:

Thanks for your help

Keep trying, it’s another great skill to learn and ,like everything, it’s just a matter of practice and patience lol :grin:

Well I tried again with your advice and it worked! But then I realised that I was knitting inside out :roll_eyes: I think I know what I did wrong…I’ll get there in the end :joy:

After you have knitted the first stitch on a new needle, yank the yarn and it will pull the new needle close to the previous one. Keep a bit of tension while knitting the second stitch so the needle remain close. I do not know if it matters or not, but I do always have the new needle under the old one.

DPN’s are fun to use and my preferred way of knitting in the rounds. I find myself to be much faster with them than with circular needles.

Thank you for your help. It seems to be working now :blush:

Also, if you rotate the stitches every couple of rows - by that I mean move them on so that the same stitches are not always at the ends of the dpn’s.

The person who taught me told me 2 and a half tugs. A tug for the first two stitches on a needle and a gentler tug on the third. Then just keep a natural tension. If you can, knit one more stitch on to each needle you work on so that you are always rotating the knitting around. Finally, if you have enough needles use all 5 in the set. If you don’t have enough use one from the next size up or down.

If you can, knit one more stitch on to each needle you work on so that you are always rotating the knitting around.

While this sort of works, I think this is not the best method. Some doing this end up with a “spiral ladder”. It is not the same visible, but still there. The only real solution is what you mentioned first, to pull the first stitches a bit more tight.

Depending on what you are making its a good idea to out in a rescue row that can save you a lot of froging.

I prefer Magic Loop. Find it easier than juggling multiple needles… Never lose my needles either. Everyone has their preferred method, whatever works for you😀

I was always a “circulars only” girl. Now I’m really enjoying working with straight and double point needles. Knit the stitches off one entire needle and the first stitch off the next needle. Then grab your empty needle and repeat. All the stitches off the second needle plus the first off the third. If you stagger them like that, you will never get a run. Knitting in the round goes in a spiral so it works out.

I finally figured out that keeping the new needle below the old one makes all the difference–keep it there just for the first 3-4 stitches, then you can raise it up into the usual position. :slight_smile: No runners with this technique…which I just happened on by chance.

This is the way I use dps. I always knit one more from the next needle.

I’ve never seen a “spiral ladder.” Neither has Fatoldladyinpjs1 (and I sincerely doubt you are fat, let alone old. Old is 15 years older than you are – my favorite definition of old)

Find out what works for y o u and that’s the one to use.

And I’ve never had or seen a spiral ladder either @MumandMimi and @Fatoldladyinpjs1. Moving on one stitch at end of each needle always works for me :grin: