Help with fringe

OK…here’s what I am working on.

http://freeknittingpatterns.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-triangleShawl.html

My question is about the fringe. I have been working with the homespun yarn on another project and it frays very easily. If I did the fringe on this pattern I think it would fray and not look as nice. Could I use ribbon? If so, What kind? Or should I just let it fray? Or…what?

others might have different suggestions…BUT…this is mine :slight_smile:

I’d take the same length that they are saying for the fringe, and attach it to your purse…something that gets a lot of wear and tear…and see how it weathers. IF you like it, then keep it, if it actually doesn’t fray, then no biggie, if it DOES fray, and you like the way it looks then again, no biggie.

…now…you ask…can you…??? do SOMETHING ELS??? gasp…change the pattern to something you LIKE…heheheh…yes you can!!! Pick what ever you like…:slight_smile: If it is ribbon, just make sure that it is cut on a diag, so that won’t fray. OOOOOOOOOOOO…I JUST had an idea…you could tie a knot at the end of each of the fringe (which would send ME over the edge)…but then that way it wouldn’t fray, and you’s get a different look :slight_smile:

what other ideas do you guys have ??? I"m working with Homespun right now, so I get what you mean!!! :wink:

I haven’t used Homespun before, but… if you’re not sure about the fraying, you could
a)use another, complementary or matching yarn or fabric…
b) instead of making a fringe, add some other sort of decorative border (even if you’ve already almost finished the shawl, this isn’t too hard to do, just pick up stitches along each edge to knit the other way) Knitting on The Edgeis a great resource for ideas…
c) use the Homespun, but slide on beads or something at the ends - that way it’s not just a knot at the end of the fringe, it’s beading :inlove: … They sell beads with larger holes in them at Michael’s, I know…

Have fun, go crazy with it, and let us know how it turns out!

Homespun frays when you look at it. It is at the bottom of my list for yarns, but many people love it. I’m not much of a fringe lover, so I don’t have any good alternate selections, I’d just say not to waste your time with the Homespun. Even the tail of knitting unravels into a little horse tail (for want of a better term) without excessive wearing.

Homespun frays when you look at it. It is at the bottom of my list for yarns, but many people love it. I’m not much of a fringe lover, so I don’t have any good alternate selections, I’d just say not to waste your time with the Homespun. Even the tail of your cast on unravels into a little horse tail (for want of a better term) without excessive wearing.

oooo I like the bead idea…in theory…it’d send me over the edge however!!! lol…I could give it to a child in the house…they’d prolly do better than me with it!!!