Help with DPN instructions. A river otter pattern

So, this is the lovely river otter pattern created by Sara Elizabeth Kellner(https://www.ravelry.com/designers/sara-elizabeth-kellner)
The project is River Otter Ravelry: River Otter pattern by Sara Elizabeth Kellner

I don’t understand what to do with “Although the sts are on dpns, you will be working back and forth, not in the round. Rejoin color A yarn at the first st on the right side of the tail and work the rows below, turning your work at the end of each one:”
First, which stitch is the first st on the right side of the tail? I am bewildered.
Second, how can I work back and forth on DPNs? It would be great if someone had uploaded videos to YouTube to demonstrate.
Third, how can I rejoin the yarn?
And here is what my project looks like now
Thank you so much!

1 Like

It looks like the tail is circled in the photo below. If that’s indeed the tail then you would start with the stitch the arrow is indicating. It should be a knit stitch. Start there so you can knit row 1.
KH1

Working back and forth on dpns means that when you knit around to the beginning of the round, you turn as you would at the end of the row and purl back over the sts you just knit. It’s similar to this video where the knitting is on a small circular and then turned at about 0.45min in the video.

To rejoin the yarn, hold it in your left hand alongside the needle with about a 6 inch tail to weave in later and begin knitting. After the first couple of sts, you can drop the yarn in your left hand. The sts may be a bit loose but you can snug them up by pulling on the tail.

It’ll be fun to see this project completed (with fish). Please post a photo!

2 Likes

I love this pattern! Salmonmac covered the bases well. I think the white in this photo shows the part you’re on now.
It’s from this project page River Otter

You’re getting a bonus: If you ever need to knit a sock heel flap it’s very similar.

2 Likes

Thank you for always valuable suggestions! This is my first time doing back and forth on DPNs, and I got confused. I treated the stitches as if they were on a straight needle and figured out how to do it. I will definitely post a photo when this lovely otter is finished. :otter: well the emoji is a sea otter

2 Likes

Yes, learning sock technique is always a bonus! Maybe I should start looking for some lovely (and easy) sock patterns.

1 Like

@salmonmac @GrumpyGramma Thank you for the guidance and tips. Here is the happy river otter with his fish.
It is my first time doing pick up and there are problems here and there, but I have made a lovely otter.

5 Likes

She looks ready for lunch and another swim. That river otter is adorable.
These small knits can be very tricky but you’ve done it very nicely.

1 Like

That is a lovely otter!

1 Like