Help with decreasing for a beanie

Hi - New here and also a pretty basic knitter…

I am putting together a beanie for my 3.5 yo son and have a decreasing question…

Firstly you should know that I am using a circular needle and knitting continuously (knitting in the round?). I don’t have a pattern but am just doing a simple wide ribbing (k4 p4). I have 64 stitches in the work using chunky yarn and size 10 needles with 2 colours (navy and red) alternating every 7 rows. Now you can all picture exactly what I am knitting :wink:

So any idea how to decrease? I measured that I have around 16 more rows left in the work until it will fit his noggin. So I need to decrease within these rows.

I have knitted several beanies before but never had to decrease in a rib…

Thanks so much…

For the decreases, do one based on 8 sts - so k4, p2 p2tog and repeat around. Then one round without decs, and the next one will be k2, k2tog, p3 all the way around. One plain round, then the next dec round you can do the decs in the purl rib again, then the one after that do them in the knit rib. Keep decreasing with nondecrease rounds inbetween until you have 8 or 16 sts left, then finish off by threading the tail through the remaining stitches like a drawstring and closing the top shut.