Help with daisy baby sweater

I’m still working on this daisy baby sweater from Knitty, and I’ve come to a screeching halt. I’m getting ready to start the neckband:

With RS facing, pick up and k12 sts evenly along the right front neck edge. Pick up 1 st from the top point of the raglan and k tog with the 1st st of sleeve. K5 then k last st of sleeve tog with 1st stitch from back. K across 19 back sts, then k last back st tog wiht the 1st st from the 2nd sleeve. K accross 5 sleeve sts, then k last sleeve st tog with 1st st picked up from the top of the left front point. Pick up and k 12 evenly across left front. 57 sts on needle.

I don’t understand how to 'pick up and k12 sts evenly along the right front neck edge. Could someone please help? Thanks!

Here’s the link:
http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer03/PATTdaisy.html

Pick up and knit is generally just pick up sts. Evenly means evenly spaced. The general rule for picking up along an edge is 3 sts for every 4 rows or sometimes 2 sts for every 3 rows. It depends on your gauge, or what looks good. If you pick up every other row, they’ll be too far apart; if on every row, they’ll be too squished toghether.