Help with crown pattern

I’m new to knitting and was trying to recreate this beanie/hat.

It has a k1p1 pattern.

I’m having difficulty with the crown pattern. Can anyone please tell me the exact pattern for this crown?

To create that decrease line, you would do:
k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk
every other round

And you would start doing this when your next stitch on the left needle was a purl.

There are probably four decrease lines on the hat, although we can’t tell for sure without seeing the top.

Have you knitted the rest of the hat? If so, how many stitches do you have?

I haven’t started yet. I’m not using a chunky yarn. These are the details I found
IMG_6642.jpg

I plan to use 100 cast ons minimum but I will add more if the pattern requires it

IMG_6642.jpg

As long as you cast on a multiple of four, you will be fine. Around the 100 mark is usually good for an adult hat in worsted/DK weight yarn, maybe slightly more depending on the wearer’s head size. I would have a look on Ravelry at some free 1x1 hats in the weight of yarn you plan to use to see how many they cast on. Have a look at the head size that they fit.

Come back and ask if you need more guidance when you get to the decreases. We can tell you how to place markers for the four decrease lines if that is something you need help with.

Happy knitting!

Thank you! I plan to cast on 104 then for the decrease round 1: 19 stitches in pattern, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk, 19st, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk (*twice)

Next round k1p1

Next round 17st in pattern, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk, 17st, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk (*twice)

And so on till I reach 5st, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk, 5st, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, ssk (*twice)

I made these calculations keeping in mind that the decrease pattern should begin when I have purl on my left needle

Should this work out?

I’ll just ask @salmonmac and @Creations to check the numbers.

I’m a little tired today and can’t quite focus!

This is a nice way to lay out the decreases. I might try it sometime!

The numbers add up and the slant of the decreases should work. It’s fun to work these 4 part decreases as a change from spiral decreases. Here’s a pattern that may also help with the very end shaping.

@kushami rest up if you can. Feeling tired is no time for math.

1 Like

Thank you @kushami and @salmonmac…. Will let you both know soon if the pattern for the decreases works according to my calculations! :grin::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Oh good. I forgot to add that when you get towards the top of the hat you may need to decrease every round to flatten the top of the hat.

I usually do this by eye for the last couple of rounds. Sorry to be vague but you can usually see the shape developing and you can try the hat on, needles and all :slight_smile:

1 Like

So every round should be a decrease round for the top of the hat?

So no k1p1 rounds between decrease rounds? I tried with the k1p1 in between decrease rounds and the pattern didn’t match🙁

Was planning to do decrease rounds back to back (no k1p1 round in between them as I had shared earlier)….

Would that work?

Just the very top, say the last three or four rows, would be decrease every round. Have a look at the pattern that salmonmac linked to see when they start to do this.

To keep your ribbing pattern intact once you start decreasing, you need to look at the next stitch on your needle in order to decide whether to knit or purl. You also need to maintain your “spokes” so you get those nice lines.

You can look for tutorials on “reading your knitting” if you are not sure about how to do this.

You might like to place markers as well to help you stay on track.

1 Like