Help with circular knitting-beanie gone wrong

This is my first time knitting with circular needles to create a beanie. I knew something didn’t seem right how the work seems twisted. I don’t know how this happened and if it’s fixable. If I have to start again I’d like to know what I did wrong to have this happen.

Hi Hazelstar721, It looks like you may have twisted your stitches when joining to work in the round. It’s easily done and very annoying but, with practice, you will overcome doing this. Mark this down as a practice swatch, rip it back and start over. Then take extra care to check and check again, before joining to work in the round, that all the sts are laying the same way along your needles and cord. So frustrating, I feel your pain.
This video may help :smiley:

I put the circle in the proper position and run my fingers all down the stitches to be sure they are lined up properly. To eliminate the space when you joun the work on the first row: Grab your working yarn and your tail. Knit the first stitch with both. Drop the tail and continue knitting that first round as normal. When you start your second round, knit those first two stitches as a knit two together and finish second round as usual. Pull the tail tightly and that space will close up with no gap. As a beginner, I watched a lot of circular knitting videos. What they don’t tell you is that your working yarn should be attached back needle. When you knit, the working yarn should be coming in front of the back needle from INSIDE the tube. If it is behind the back needle, you will have an unwanted yarn over extra stitch.

Thank you so much for the clarification and video. I’m going to get a smaller cabled needles. I think that may be what started it.

I’ll give that a try. I think being left handed and having learned the basics from my Nana who is English and knits differently added to my quirky knitting.

Thanks for the tips

If you have a right handed person teaching you, sit across from them and watch. It will be reversed. If you are going by pictures, do a screen shot of it with your computer or phone. Use your photo editing program to flip it in reverse. You can also hold printed instructions up to a mirror.