Help with Christmas stocking heel

Hi,

I am trying to knit an old fashion Christmas stocking for my niece. The pattern uses straight needles in order to do the Santa pattern in intarsia. After finishing the chart pattern for the leg ending with a knitting row it says:

Slip first 13 sts onto holder for the right half of the heel; slip next 27 sts onto holder for the instep; keep last 33 sts on needle for left half of heel.

It then gives instructions for Left half of heel including the turn starting with a purl row. And then says to put the first 13 sts from holder onto needle to do Right half of heel.

I thought i followed the instructions correctly, but for some reason that I can’t figure out the heel flaps are facing the wrong way. I think the only way to fix this is to rip them out and try again.

Any assistance in helping me figure out how I went wrong or how to avoid this in the future is appreciated.

Welcome to KH!
I’m not sure I understand what you mean when you say the heel flaps are facing the wrong way. Do you mean the purl side is facing out? or something else?
Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name? The rows you’ve quoted are fine so we don’t need anymore of the instructions, just a name will do.

Here is a picture of what it looks like. I think I somehow put the left heel flap where the right one should be and Vise versa. I’m using a pattern from a book.

Yes, I agree. If the only shaping is at the bottom of the heel flap, those last several rows, then you would only have to take out those rows. Reverse the shaping so that when the stocking folds, the heel turns will be to the outside.

The stocking is beautifully worked up to the ends on the heels. The intarsia looks grand.

Hi! I’m doing the exact same pattern and have wound up in the exact same place with the shaking facing the wrong directions. How did you solve the problem? Did you take out the shaped areas and switch the direction of the shaping on both sides?

Welcome to KH!
@laura1 Did reversing the directions for left and right heel work for you?

What is the name of this pattern or the pattern book please?

Yes. I ended up taking out both heal flaps so that I was back at the bottom of the chart of the Santa/chimney pattern. I then switched the sides that I had previously done to make sure that the heel flaps were facing the correct direction (in towards each other, rather than out and away), and it seems to have fixed the problem. Finishing up the stocking today.

The name of the book is Knitting a Vintage Christmas by Candi Derr, and I’m doing the Down the Chimney pattern. 33%20PM

Thanks so much for reporting back and for the pattern source. I’m glad this lovely stocking has worked out.
Merry Christmas!