Help with Carmellia Shawl?

Hello everyone,
I’m trying to knit my first shawl and I’m having some problems. The design is Carmellia by Linnea Ornstein. Has anyone else knit this shawl and can you possibly advise me about what I’m doing wrong?
Many thanks!
Carrie

1 Like

Where are you having problems? You can quote a few rows if you like. Please don’t post large portions of the pattern due to copyrights.

Hi and thank you for responding! I’m not sure how to explain this to you. The pattern starts out with a mostly stockinette body for 54 rows. These 54 rows are written instructions and then the charts begin. As you can see from the 1st chart, at row 55 I should have 171 stitches. I only have 117. I thought this might be a typo but as I look at the picture of the finished shawl, mine is noticeably smaller in size at row 55 and I’m using a light worsted weight as opposed to the dk called for in the pattern.
Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Make sure that you are increasing every row at the edges and every other row on either side of the center line. So for some rows there’s 4sts increased and for the alternate rows, 2sts increased. You may be able to count the yarn overs.

1 Like

Yes, I can count my yo’s and I have exactly the right number. This is actually the second time I’ve tried this pattern. I frogged my first attempt after seeing how off my stitch count was. I may have to just put this pattern aside for now until I can understand the shawl process a little better. :confused:
Thanks very much for your help, tho!
Carrie

1 Like

In thinking about this chart, I wonder if the problem is the yarn over at the end of a row, turn then a yarn over at the beginning of the next row. It’s like a double yarn over and if you’re not doing that, you’d easily be losing sts.

1 Like

It’s very possible that’s the problem. There are two beginning rows and then the following 2 rows are repeated 26 times until I reach row 54 at which point I should have 171 total stitches and then start chart A.

Row 3. Slip 1 purlwise, K2, yo, K to marker, yo, SM, K1, SM, yo, K to the last 3 stitches, yo, K2, KTBL (19 sts)
Row 4. Slip 1 purlwise, K2, yo, P to marker, SM, P1, SM, P to the last 3 stitches, yo, K2, KTBL (21 sts)

I’m not sure if I’m doing the YO on the WS correctly. I just thought that YO was to bring my yarn forward to purl. Is there a special way to do a WS YO?

1 Like

Aha, that’s probably it. For a yo before a purl stitch you want to bring the yarn to the front and then round the needle ending at the front again ready to purl. That’ll create the extra stitch that you need.

Yay!! That’s it!! Im so excited now…I can finally knit this pattern!
Thank you SO VERY MUCH. You’ve made my day. :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

3 Likes