Help with cardigan buttonbank

I am doing cardigan for granddaughter. I am confused with the following: With right side facing using no. 3 1/4 mm needles and commensing at right front border work across 7 stiches left onn a thread as follows s1 k1 p1 3 times, pick up and knit 19 stitches from right side of neck.
I know how to pick up the stitches from side of neck but do not understand how to work the 7 stitches from the right front boarder without attaching it to the front of the cardigan.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
This sounds like the directions for the collar or neckband. So yes, you will be connecting the buttonband to the picked up sts. The collar will sit on top of both buttonbands.
Can you tell us the name of the pattern or give us a pattern link?

Yes, that is right. Neckband going around. The pattern is a very old Sirdar #4249 that I got a copy of from my friend when I lived in Scotland. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the pattern information. Very elegant sweater.

can you explain to me how I handle the 7 stitches and how to connect them to the actual front of the sweater? Thanks

Sure, for the 7sts, slip one, (k1p1) 3 times, and then proceed to pick up sts on the right front. The 7sts will connect to the picked up sts. It looks like the k1p1 pattern for the band is continued in the collar.