Help with cape pattern

I am knitting a cape jumper and have completed the front and back, the next step is as follows: pick up and knit 48 sts evenly along 10 shaped rows at lower edge. 82 from cast on stitches sts and 48 sts evenly along 10 shaped rows at lower edge. That makes 178 sts. When I started there were only 162 sts in total! Very confused. The pattern is a James Brett and is number JB 159 if that helps. Thanks in anticipation.

The pattern or photo name or link is always helpful. Thanks for posting it.
You cast on 162sts and now the pattern wants you to pick up 82sts from that cast on edge, is that right? Pick up one new stitch for approximately every two cast on sts and that will get you close. It helps to use markers to make sure that the picked up sts are evenly distributed.
The extra rows at each edge will have sts picked up there as well adding to your total of 178.
http://www.jamescbrett.co.uk/leaflet/jb159

Hiya, thanks for replying. The way the pattern reads, is that I need to pick up 48 stitches either side of the cast on stitches (?) So making a total of 178.
48 + 82 + 48 = 178. :confounded:

Yes, that’s the way I see it too. Does that seem like too many to pick up at the sides or at the cast on?

Yes, I’m really not understanding the instructions at all. I have attached
a picture of the back. Could you point out where you think I should pick
the stitches up? Thank you.

salmonmac Mod Squad
October 2

Yes, that’s the way I see it too. Does that seem like too many to pick up
at the sides or at the cast on?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
Jojams
October 2
Hiya, thanks for replying. The way the pattern reads, is that I need to
pick up 48 stitches either side of the cast on stitches (?) So making a
total of 178. 48 + 82 + 48 = 178. :confounded:

I don’t have the photo but it sounds like you should mark off the 10 shaped rows at the lower edge on both sides of the back. With the RS (the outside or public side of the cape) facing you, start at the top of the 10 rows on the right and pick up sts. Pick up so that you have several at the corner. That way the edging won’t buckle but will lie flat as it turns the corner.
You’ll be picking up sts to make a big U or smile.
If you use the little up arrow in the reply box, you should be able to upload a photo. It might help me understand exactly what you’re up against.

Thank you. I have had a go, not sure if it is correct! Looks OK. :slight_smile: