Help with cable sweater pattern

[B]CABLE PAT (Worked over 8 sts)
Rows 1, 3, 5 and 7 (RS):[/B] Knit 8.
[B]Row 2 and all WS rows:[/B] Purl 8.
[B]Row 9:[/B] CB8.
[B]Row 10:[/B] Purl 8.
Rep these 10 rows for Cable Pat.

[B]BACK
[/B]With straight needles, cast on 84(90-99-111-123-136) sts.
Establish Pat St: Row 1 (RS): K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9(9-9-9-9-11), * [B]work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts[/B], p8(10-13-17-21-24), rep from * twice more, work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, p9(9-9-9-9-11), k1, (p1, k1) twice.

Hi,
Could somebody please help me out here? This is my first sweater and I was wondering what ‘work [B]Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts’[/B] means?
Do I just knit 8 stitches? Or, do I do the whole cable pattern where it says that?
I DONT GET IT!:shrug:

This sweater has four pretty cables going up the front.
And I know how to do cables, but I just dont get this pattern.

ANY help is greatly appreciated as usual,
Sue

You purl 9 sts, then work the CB8 pattern (whatever that may be)(this should take up only 8 stitches), then you purl 8 sts…Does your pattern specify what CB8 means? I can guess that it means slip 4 sts to a cable needle and then hold in the back or front, then knit 4 sts, then knit 4 from the cable needle. I hope this was helpful.

Yes, it does say what that means in the pattern. I think I got it now,

THANK YOU
sue

[B]STITCH GLOSSARY
CB8
[/B]Sl 4 sts to cn and hold in BACK, k4, then k4 from cn.

[B]CABLE PAT (Worked over 8 sts)
Rows 1, 3, 5 and 7 (RS):[/B] Knit 8.
[B]Row 2 and all WS rows:[/B] Purl 8.
[B]Row 9:[/B] CB8.
[B]Row 10:[/B] Purl 8.
Rep these 10 rows for Cable Pat.

[B]BACK
[/B]With straight needles, cast on 84 sts.
[B]Establish Pat St: Row 1 (RS):[/B] K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9, * work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, p8(10-13-17-21-24), rep from * twice more, work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, p9, k1, (p1, k1) twice.

So, if I cast on 84 stitches, for the first ROW I would:
K 1, p1, k1 (twice), then p 9
[B]THIS is where I get confused…[/B]
then I would knit 8 stitches, pearl 8 and knit 8 and pearl 8 again twice, then I would knit 8, pearl 9, knit 1 and pearl 1 and knit 1 twice. ??

I[B] KNOW this is WRONG because where do I do the cable? Dont laugh, this is suppose to be an easy pattern but I have no clue! :eyes:[/B]
[B]If anyone knows how to explain this like to a kindergarner, I would REALLY appreciate it! I want to knit this top! Help![/B]

This is the second Row:
[B]Row 2:[/B] P1, (k1, p1) twice, k9(9-9-9-9-11), * work Row 2 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, k8(10-13-17-21-24), rep from * twice more, work Row 2 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, k9(9-9-9-9-11), p1, (k1, p1) twice. Work even in pat as established until piece measures 14” from beg, end on WS.

Then it has the armholes etc.

[B]THANK YOU[/B] for any help,
sue

You will work whatever row of the cable pattern that you’re on for the piece - so…

Row 1 (RS): K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9, * work [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Row 1 of Cable Pat[/COLOR] over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]so knit 8[/COLOR]), p8, rep from * twice more, work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]AKA knit 8[/COLOR]), p9, k1, (p1, k1) twice.

For Row 2, you’ll P1, (k1, p1) twice, k9, * work [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Row 2 of Cable Pat[/COLOR] over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]so purl 8[/COLOR]), k8, rep from * twice more, work Row 2 of Cable Pat over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]AKA purl 8[/COLOR]), k9, p1, (k1, p1) twice.

Rows 3, 5, and 7 will be like Row 1 above, Rows 4, 6, 8 and 10 will be like row 2.

Row 9 is where you’ll work your cable, so you’ll K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9, * work [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Row 9 of Cable Pat[/COLOR] over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]so CB8 as instructed[/COLOR]), p8, rep from * twice more, work Row 9 of Cable Pat over 8 sts ([COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]AKA CB8[/COLOR]), p9, k1, (p1, k1) twice.

Row 1 (RS): K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9(9-9-9-9-11), * work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, p8(10-13-17-21-24), rep from * twice more, work Row 1 of Cable Pat over 8 sts, p9(9-9-9-9-11), k1, (p1, k1) twice.

So, this is what I understand of this pattern: Row 1 (RS): K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P9, K8 (this is row 1 of your Cable Pattern), P8, K8, P8, K8, P8, K8, P9, K1, P1, K1, P1 K1

This completes 84 stitches assuming you are doing the smallest size. The above interpertation would change if you were doing one of the larger sizes listed in parathesis. The 1st row you will not be using cable needles. You will not use cable needles until you reach where it says in the pattern to work Row 9 of Cable Patttern. Hope this helps.

-Ve

Basically, yes. It might help to just write it if full, so for Row 1 you could write something like (where the bolded print is you insert the cable pattern for that row):

K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P9, [B]K8[/B], P8, [B]K8[/B], P8, [B]K8[/B], P8, [B]K8[/B], P9, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1.

ETA - oops. Ve beat me to that!

Thank You SO MUCH,

So, I wouldn’t knit a cable until Row 9?

Thank you for this help!
Such life saver’s on this site! I love it!
sue

Yes, the actual “crossover” is only on Row 9 and you would insert it in the bolded parts of my last reply (since they are both odd rows it would follow that Row 1 pattern with the exception of the CB8 instead of K8).

Except for the row you do the crosses on, cables are like ribbing. That’s why they’re not as hard as people think.

I WILL learn this! I think when I start actually knitting it, it will come easy.

[B]In your bolded parts, in your reply, I would actually do the cable pattern (put stitches on cable holder etc.) every time you put the bolded 8 stitches? So, in every row I knit I would be doing 4 ( I think) cable patterns?[/B]

[B]So I would be doing actual cable stitches in[/B] [B]every row where your put the bolded 8 stitches?[/B]

I wish the pattern was row by row like the other patterns I did so far. Like Silver’s Sock Class!

I’m SO sorry if I sound like an idiot! I think I’m one of those people who learn better by watching and doing…but you guys are SO HELPFUL and I can not believe how beautiful the work is on some of the posts! I wanna do that!
Plus, you people are so very patient! I luv you!
sue

This might help to understand cable better,it did me
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-879.html

thank you, that did help a lot.

So I would use the actual cable stitches (holding stitches in back or front) on row 9 only, the other rows are the ‘background’ stitches to the cable pattern, and they are just plain k or p stitches.

right?:pray:
sue

Yes, the only crossing over (holding your st to front or back, thereby changing their order and crossing them) is in row 9. So your rows would be:

Rows 1, 3, 5, 7: K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9, * k8, p8, rep from * twice more, k8, p9, k1, (p1, k1) twice.

Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, 10: P1, (k1, p1) twice, k9, * p8, k8, rep from * twice more, p8, k9, p1, (k1, p1) twice.

Row 9: K1, (p1, k1) twice, p9, * CB8, p8, rep from * twice more, CB8, p9, k1, (p1, k1) twice.

:cheering::woot::yay::woohoo:

I WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO POSTED HELP FOR ME.

I BELIEVE I HAVE THE IDEA NOW!

I WILL POST A PICTURE OF THIS SWEATER WHEN I’M DONE, PROBABLY IN A YEAR OR TWO!

I’M MAKING IT FOR MY DAUGHTER (IF IT TURNS OUT OK)
:happydance:
THANK YOU AGAIN,
LUV,
SUE