Help with cable lace afghan increases and decreases, please!

Hi there!

I just started knitting a beautiful lace and cable afghan today for my boyfriend’s sister’s wedding present! I consider myself to be an intermediate knitter, and the pattern I picked looked a bit challenging, but I felt up to the challenge! However, I came upon a stumbling block in only the first row.

In row 1, the instructions are as follows: K3. *K3. K2TOG. K4. YRN. P2. (K2. YFWD. SL1. K1. PSSO) 3 times. P2. YON. K4. SL1. PSSO. K3. Rep from * to last 3 stitches. K3.

However, I am losing 3 stitches per repetition because my passed slipped stitches are not being replaced. Is that correct? I think I am missing something here.

I also foresee the same problem in row 3, where the directions are: K3. *K1. K2TOG. K4. YFWD. K2. P2. (K2. YFWD. SL1. K1. PSSO.) 3times. P2. K2. YFWD. K4. SL1. K1. PSSO. K1. Rep from * to last 3 sts. K3.

Any help or insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Lauren

Lauren,

I’m wondering if the term YRN in your pattern means yarn over. If it does, and you didn’t yarn over that could account for the lost stitches. What does the stitch definition for YRN say in your pattern?

In row one each decrease is balanced by an increase. When you do the repeat 3 times the YFWD is a yarn over that compensates for the PSSO. For the repeat, k2, yarn forward, slip 1, bring the yarn over the needle to k1 and then PSSO.
“In row 1, the instructions are as follows: K3. *K3. K2TOG. K4. YRN. P2. (K2. YFWD. SL1. K1. PSSO) 3 times. P2. YON. K4. SL1. PSSO. K3. Rep from * to last 3 stitches. K3.”

Same thing holds true for row 3. The YFWD is the beginning of a yarn over
"I also foresee the same problem in row 3, where the directions are: K3. *K1. K2TOG. K4. YFWD. K2. P2. (K2. YFWD. SL1. K1. PSSO.) 3times. P2. K2. YFWD. K4. SL1. K1. PSSO. K1. Rep from * to last 3 sts. K3."

Sounds like a lovely idea for a gift. Good luck with it!

The yfwd, yon and yrn are YOs which add stitches that the decs take away. For a yo just wrap the yarn around the needle as if making a stitch, the R needle just isn’t put into a st on the L needle.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I didn’t realize that a “YFWD” was another form of yarn over. I think it will all work out great now! Thanks again!

I’ve got a linked question - Having come back to knitting after a break of lots of years, I’ve dug out an old pattern. I have to do a knit row of yfd, sl1, K1, psso. I understand what this means, I am not sure where to pick the slipped one up to pass it over - The yfd crosses over on top of the slipped one - so when I come to pass it over there are two points I could pick it up - one on the ‘inside’ takes it over just the one I’ve knitted, but the ‘back’ takes it over the new stitch created by the yfd as well as the knitted one. Sorry this sounds so complicated. Its like an IX where the yfd is the bottom right to top left and is over the top of the slipped - which is the bottom left to top right (of the X) and the I is the knitted one. Do I pick up the bottom left part of the X or the top right? - don’t know if that makes it any clearer. Ifanyone can help I’d be very grateful.
thanks

You want to pick up the bottom left part of the X. Even though the yo is trying to cross over the slipped st, hold it back with you right finger so that you can pass the slipped st over just the knit 1.
What an inventive way of visualizing the problem!

Huge thanks - I will set to it. I’m looking forward to the challenge and nice to be set on the right path.