Help with British Pattern

I have started a new sweater and have a Rowan pattern book, “Simple Shapes, Creative Linen”. The sweater is on page 31. I’ve completed the ribbing and am about to set the pattern up. It goes:

sl1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k2tog, yfwd, k5 on right side, p5 on wrong side

I am unfamiliar with yfwd. I’m clear that it means “yarn forward”, but how do they mean that? Is it the same as “yarn over needle”?

Yfwd is the same as a yo between two knit stitches: I found a link that explains the various differences between American and British abbreviations for these types of stitches in case you would like the written explanation:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your answer and so quickly. I have been really eager to get on with the sweater. Can you tell me how you handle this instruction if the previous stitch is a purl, or would this never happen? I had a feeling it was the same as yo but wanted to be sure. Thanks again, especially for the website. I knit a lot of British patterns.

Hi - no problem! I use Rowan patterns a lot. I’ve seen instructions between two purl stittches (YRN = yarn around needle) 2 knit stitches, which we’ve covered, and a knit stitch, then a purl with (YFRN = yarn forward and around needle), but not a purl and then a knit. Yes, you are correct, they are all asking you to a yo. It’s just that the British are very precise about tailoring that instruction based on your starting yarn position. Rowan writes great patterns, so the instructions should correspond with the chart I shared with you! Happy knitting.

Hi, paperbluecat,
Thanks so much for your reply. Now I can get on with the sweater. I’m also trying to teach myself to crochet so I’ll probably soon have questions about that too. Thanks again,
---- paperbluecat wrote:

1 Like