Help with basic sock pattern

Working on this free pattern for some socks the third size in the brackets: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/follow-the-basic-topdown-sock-pattern.html
:aww:
Stuck on heel

The heel is worked over 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) sts.

Next row (RS): K 13 (14, 15, 16, 17, 18) sts, turn.

P across 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) sts.

Row 1 (RS): * K1, sl 1 *, rep from * to * across.

Row 2 (WS): Sl 1, p across.

Rep rows 1 and 2 until you have worked 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) rows in total.

If I am doing it on circular needles do I still need to knit 16 then purl 32. I don’t understand which parts I am purling

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the pattern link. You’re working the heel flap. Knit over 16sts, then instead of continuing around the circular needle, turn and purl back on those same 16sts plus 16 more sts for a total of 32sts on the heel. Turn again and work row 1, then turn and work row 2. For now, you’ll be working back and forth on 32sts and letting the remaining sts hang out while you finish the heel. You’ll get to them later.
This video will show you where you are in the sock.

Not sure if the photo has shown up. Have been doing okay but then on one side the slipped stitch looks really odd its not being knitted so its really far down. Is that right or am I doing something wrong.

It says row one: k1 s1 to end

row two: s1 purl to end

I have unravelled and tried again but the same thing is happening it looks like a hole!

Hayley

Make sure you’re only slipping the stitch at the beginning of the row.
Row 1 sl1 knit to the end
Row 2 sl1 purl to the end
It’s to give you a nice edge for the next step which is to pick up sts along the edges.

On the knit row, every other stitch is slipped (it gives a ridged look to the heel and helps the sock wear better). On the purl row only slip the first stitch and purl across.

You’re right. I wasn’t considering the heel pattern. Just thinking that slipping the first stitch of the row and the last stitch of the row won’t work.

2.P across 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) sts.
3.Row 1 (RS): * K1, sl 1 *, rep from * to * across.
4.Row 2 (WS): Sl 1, p across.

Since it’s an even number of sts across the heel, maybe you could knit the last stitch of row 1 instead of slipping it or else skip the sl 1 on row 2 and just purl across the entire row?
Thanks, Jeremy. Hope the original poster takes a look back.