Help With A Sweater Sleeve

Hi, I am working on a pattern called ‘stone wash sweater’ by Esther Kate Designs (I’m doing the size 42" chest, and have attached a picture of how the final work should look at the bottom of the post) and I need some help with terms used in the pattern. The sleeves start on US size 7 (4mm) needles. The first 7cm was just a 1x1 rib pattern. After that the next row was rib 4 *M1 rib 7, repeat from * to last 3 sts, M1, rib to end. So now I have 40 sts.

Now comes the part I’m confused by. The pattern says:
Change to US size 10 (6mm) needles.
Inc 1 st at each end of next and every following 8th until there are 60 sts.
Work straight until work measures 46 cm.

So when I move to the size 10 needles do I just knit a row with the size 7 needle on the left and the size 10 on the right and then start the increase after that, or do I start the increase as I transfer between needles?

Also, do I start the straight stitch as I increase (I think that’s what the picture shows) or continue in rib stitch. Finally, does ‘after every 8th’ refer to every 8th row or every 8th stitch?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first sweater and I’ve only done hats and scarves up to this point.
Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.56.34 PM

1 Like

You do the increases at the same time you switch to the larger needles - also, you’re changing to stocking stitch from rib, so the increase row is a plain knit. Rib is usually done on smaller needles to help keep it tighter than the main parts of the garment.
It’s a nice looking jumper!
The ‘increase every 8th’ refers to rows rather than stitches, as it already says “each end”, which means you’ll increase one stitch both ends of the next row, then you work 7 rows without shaping, repeat until you have the stated amount of stitches.

1 Like

Thank you!

No problem!