Help with a pattern

Beginner here. Can someone help with pattern instructions, please.

Both the front and back of my sweater are the same.

I’m fine with the beginning where I’m given the 1st and 2nd rows, then asked to repeat 7 times, then knit the 1st row once.

On the 18th row, the instructions read …

“Rib 8, * inc. in next st., rib 11, rep from * to last 1 st/s, rib 1 … 87”

I don’t understand (a) the instruction to “rib”. Are not “rib” stitches done over various rows? Also don’t understand (b) the last bit … “rib 1 … 87” because the number of stitches I mention are for the smallest size, yet intitally I’m asked to cast on only 81 stitches.

???

Grateful for any help. If you’re kind enough to offer assistance, please be very clear. This is my first “serious” attempt at a garment. Have had plenty of practice and felt confident that I could understand or at least work my way through a pattern but this has me stumped.

Thanks -
Peter

Okay, here goes…

Ribbing means Knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl 1 (sometimes it’s knit 2, purl 2, etc.) Ribbing is typically found on the bottome of sweaters – that’s the part that stretches and contracts to conform to your body.

So I’m guessing that Rows 1 and 2 have you do that ribbing stitch.

When you get the Row 18, you are to continue in the ribbing stitch as you’ve been doing for the first rows. You are going to work 8 stitches in the ribbing stitch, then you will increase one stitch. Rib 11 stitches, increase 1 stitch, rib 11 stitches, increase one stitch, rib 11 stitches, etc., until you get to the last stitch. If that stitch is a knit, you will knit it; if it’s a purl stitch, you will purl it.

You will have increased 6 stitches on this row. The reason you do this is so the body of the sweater has more room than the ribbed part that you’ll want to be more body conforming.

Hope this helps and that the directions are clear enough!

namaent gave a good answer but didn’t address this part of your query

Also don’t understand (b) the last bit … “rib 1 … 87”
. You began with 81 and you increase 6 in that increase row. Now you have 87. That is all the 87 is telling you is how many stitches you will have on the needle after you do the increases given.

What pattern are you using? If it’s in a book or magazine, can you give the title of the book, the name of the pattern and the page it’s on? If you bought it off of the Internet, can you give a link to the site where there’s a photo? If it’s free and on the Internet, can you provide a link to the pattern? (If you paid for it, you can’t scan in the pattern or copy the whole thing here, but you can write out a few sentences, the way you did in the beginning of this thread-- copyright stuff.)

I think the first response I had explains what I need to know. I know I’ll be pointed to a glossary somewhere, but I kept thinking that “inc” means “include”, whereas it’s “increase”.

To the member who asked, the sweater pattern is in Patons Book 1266 “Jet” and it’s the Vee Neck Moss Rib Sweater on Page 24.

But, not unexpectedly, I was astonished how quickly people responded to my request for help. Thank you sincerely. I’m sure I’ll be back here again one day and who knows, I may be able to help someone myself.

Peter C.

It sounds as if you have figured this out, but just to clarify. I had to do some sleuthing (the book is only published in Australia, apparently, and then I had to enlarge the pages to see which one opposite had the description. . .but I figured it out–ta-da!!!), but I could see a good photo of the sweater. So. . .

. . .The bottom section, you ribbed for a few centimeters, but with not as many sts as for the rest of the body. This is very common-- that way, the bottom hugs a bit better, and also, that makes the moss ribbed pattern come out right in its numbers. So then you were increasing to as to have more sts for the body. What they did was have you increase in a somewhat even fashion throughout the ribbing part you’d already done, so you’d be set to go for the moss rib part. They could have just said (and some patterns will do this), “increase 6 sts across last row of ribbing”. Instead, they were helpful and avoided you having to do the math, and just told you exactly where to make your increases.